• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Abscess Removal

• Thread starter Thread starter frankiedj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frankiedj

Hi Everyone,

I really hope you can help me, I have a male guinea pig called peanut, he is 4 years old, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a lump under he’s chin, I rushed him straight to a vet who advised removal as the lump turned out to be an abscess attached to he’s jaw bone, the surgery went well, this was on Thursday 14th Jan

Peanut came home that day and was eating well, he was given a pain killer injection and was a little wobbly, since then Peanut has been eating he’s hay fine and is eating small amounts of pellet dried food but he is trying he’s hardest to have fresh food, he seems to take some fresh food and then refuse the rest, I have been feeding him some recovery food that I have to mix with water.

Peanut is not drinking any water or really moving around he’s cage that much, he is still rutting around in he’s hay, I’m trying to give him water with a syringe.
He was prescribed Baytril for 5 days.

Has anyone else been through abscess removal, I’m taking him back to the Vet tonight?

Regards
Frankie

I'm sorry I'm no help but just wanted to wish Peanut well and send him healing vibes and you supportive ones I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some advice.

Hi Frankie, welcome to the forum. I am sorry Peanut has been through a bit of a rough time this past week!

Do you know if the vet was able to remove the entire abscess?
Quite often, abscesses on the jaw are related to dental trouble. Have his teeth been examined (molars included)? Has he been given any painkillers to have at home while he recovers?

It is fairly "unusual" for a guinea to be eating the hard food and not the softer fresh fruit and veg, but guineas usually have their reasons! What fresh food are you giving him? Do you vary the diet a lot, or does he generally get the same foods each day?

Hi, the vet explained that she had removed the abscess completely and also left in an anti biotic capsule under he’s skin.
He's molars have not been examined and the only home medicine was Baytril (not sure if this is a pain killer)
The fresh food I give him varies from broccoli, sweet corn, green peppers, carrots etc.
At 3.30am this morning I work with worry and tried to feed him some green pepper he eat a little then kept turning away, at 8am he eat a little sweet corn.
Looking at he’s cut, he must be in pain.

He does eat he's hay! but has very small droppings (if any)

Head/neck abscesses are very common in guinea pigs.
In most cases Baytril has no effect.
It is not sufficient to remove the abscess, the cause of the problem should be investigated and removed, otherwise the problem will not be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back