• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Abscess Burst, I need some help.

Raichuisfat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Guinea pig, Midnight, is only a couple years old. A while ago I noticed a bump on her head, and I read for it to be an abscess, so I left it, as they said it would go down.
It hasn’t gone done, and has now appeared to burst, and is leaving a large and nasty hole on the top of my guinea pigs head! I’m really stupid... I should have done something but, is there anything I can do? I can post images if needed

Ideally, she needs to see a vet so they can flush the wound and determine whether it needs stitching/ what it definitely was.

In the meantime I would clean the wound if possible- salt water?

I'm going to tag @Wiebke who is more experienced in this field.

Is she ok? Still eating? And yes I think pictures might help

Yes I am afraid you have read wrong information. Abscesses are trapped pockets of infection and they don't just go down again. You need a vet asap to start cleaning it out and a strong antibiotic. The abscess needs to heal from the inside out

Poor piggy.
Quite concerned over the wrong information being out there in dealing with an abscess- unusual for pig related matter. I always find TGPF information all over the internet.

I am afraid wherever you got the advice, it was wrong. Abscesses are infection and will always need attention.
Your piggy needs to see a vet for the wind to be assessed. You will need to be shown how to clean it daily and you will almost certainly need antibiotics and pain killers. Your poor piggy.

Ideally, she needs to see a vet so they can flush the wound and determine whether it needs stitching/ what it definitely was.

In the meantime I would clean the wound if possible- salt water?

I'm going to tag @Wiebke who is more experienced in this field.

Is she ok? Still eating? And yes I think pictures might help
She appears to be ok. She’s still running around and eating just fine: when I pet her she seems a bit annoyed. But other than that acts perfectly fine.

He’s a photo of what happened

Attachments

• 10395C34-7871-4804-A5D4-71C81B22C286.webp
    10395C34-7871-4804-A5D4-71C81B22C286.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 42
I am afraid wherever you got the advice, it was wrong. Abscesses are infection and will always need attention.
Your piggy needs to see a vet for the wind to be assessed. You will need to be shown how to clean it daily and you will almost certainly need antibiotics and pain killers. Your poor piggy.
So. Pretty much the vet is the only option?
I can try and take her to a vet right away. I’m usually not allowed to.

Definitely needs to be taken to the vets when they are open. Why are you not allowed to go to the vets?

Yes a good vet is your only option as the piggy will almost certainly need antibiotics and pain relief.

Definitely needs to be taken to the vets when they are open. Why are you not allowed to go to the vets?
I live with people (I’m only 16) who just , have a really hard time fathoming the idea of taking any animals to the vet... lets just say they are a litttllee coocoo. Not to recently I had a Guinea pig that needed urgent vet care and they just said “that sucked”

She definitely needs to see an emergency vet, that is no doubt painful and leaving it could make things worse and harder to treat. Sending healing vibes x

I live with people (I’m only 16) who just , have a really hard time fathoming the idea of taking any animals to the vet... lets just say they are a litttllee coocoo. Not to recently I had a Guinea pig that needed urgent vet care and they just said “that sucked”
Aw, that’s such a shame when people are so uncaring. Hope you can get her to a vets. Is there an animal charity that can support you with vet bills? The PDSA does this in the UK for people on benefits and low incomes x

She appears to be ok. She’s still running around and eating just fine: when I pet her she seems a bit annoyed. But other than that acts perfectly fine.

He’s a photo of what happened
Yes I'd say a vet visit if anything to ensure if doesn't get infected and whatever it is doesn't worsen- as well as put your mind at rest! :)

It does look quite sore, so I'm sure the vet could do something to ease the discomfort.

Hello
I'm not sure you actually need to go to the vet. My pig has had an abcess that burst today. I had sent the vet some pictures. His advice is to flush it twice a day with saline boiled water and put manuka honey on it. It needs to be kept open to clean it out but unless it gets red and angry, antibiotics wont work as the infection is encapsulated. If its draining outwards, all good

Hello
I'm not sure you actually need to go to the vet. My pig has had an abcess that burst today. I had sent the vet some pictures. His advice is to flush it twice a day with saline boiled water and put manuka honey on it. It needs to be kept open to clean it out but unless it gets red and angry, antibiotics wont work as the infection is encapsulated. If its draining outwards, all good

Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the forum rules.

Of particular interest will be the following:
f) Make sure that in posts relating to animals that may be ill or suffering it is made clear that it is the responsibility of the owner to seek veterinary advice. At no point should any member discourage a visit to the vet if the animal may be suffering

We do not advocate home treatments on here. We also do not diagnose via the forum. All this needs to be done by a qualified vet. A lump can be many things of which an abscess is just one.

I would also like to point out that antibiotics, particularly ones stronger than baytril, are very effective in helping clear the infection of an abscess once it is burst. To suggest that a member does not need a vet and should not use antibiotics for one is very risky and could be fatal for the guinea pig involved.

Hello

Please don’t dissuade any member from seeking veterinary help and advice.

Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the forum rules.

Of particular interest will be the following:
f) Make sure that in posts relating to animals that may be ill or suffering it is made clear that it is the responsibility of the owner to seek veterinary advice. At no point should any member discourage a visit to the vet if the animal may be suffering

We do not advocate home treatments on here. We also do not diagnose via the forum. All this needs to be done by a qualified vet. A lump can be many things of which an abscess is just one.

I would also like to point out that antibiotics, particularly ones stronger than baytril, are very effective in helping clear the infection of an abscess once it is burst. To suggest that a member does not need a vet and should not use antibiotics for one is very risky and could be fatal for the guinea pig involved.
Well said Kelly!

Yes always seek veterinary advise. For something like an abscess especially. Proper management of the abscess is vital and antibiotics are almost always needed.

Back