• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Girl getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind1

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my Guineas is nearing 6 now and is showing signs of old age. She has cataracts in both eyes and appears to be completely deaf. She is in a hutch with 3 young girls of 10 months. 2 of these girls are quite mad and lively, the other is much more calm. Toffee, the oldie is the boss and keeps them all in check but I'm wondering whether she would be happier in a hutch with just one other. She sleeps a lot now but is quite often woken up by the others running around and pushing the cardboard box which she sleeps under. There is no problem at feed time, she is always first in the queue once she has smelt the food, although even this seems to take longer now. Yesterday I had some dandelions for them and I had to wave it right under her nose before she smelt it and woke up (she would usually have smelt them before I even reached the shed, as most of them do!). So, would just be interested to know what any of you think.

Hiya,

Aww bless her. Personally I wouldn't remove until there was a problem. Maybe the company of the others is keeping her going, I know she can't see or hear very well but if you changed her environment it could really upset her.

I'm sure someone who has a similar experience can advise you better but theere my thoughts anyway! :)

Take care,

Louise
:)

I dont think I would change the situation either. She is like the grandma of the herd :smitten:

I definatley wouldnt move her the stress of moving plus the loneliness certainley isnt good for her :(
Well done for being such a good owner-a 6-year old piggy really shows this O0

I agree if she's coping OK i'd leave her be, she's probably stress out if she was moved now, bless her :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
She sounds like a lovely sweet lady :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Can you post piccies? and well done 6 is a magnificent age O0

img0929qk7.jpg

Toffe is on the right. This is how they greet me every morning, along with the rabbit running around in circles as she lives free range in the same shed. I had to laugh at your comment Glynis about her being a lovely sweet lady, as she used to be a right fiesty little madam and there was nothing ladylike about her at all! She has mellowed alot with age and is very sweet now. I had another guinea girl who was a couple of months off 6 when she died in January. I love all my guinea pigs but there is something very special about the oldies.

I agree with the others, I wouldn't move her either.

If you did as you mentioned & put her in with just one of the other three, when her time to pass comes you may find problems putting the other piggy back in with the other two.

She looks a happy girl with her three little friends as company :smitten: They are all gorgeous :smitten:

I have a six year old living with three other females who are 2 yrs old she tends to let them boss her around and i wondered the same as you if i should take her out and put her with a older pig but the only other female pig ive got lives with a male and doesent like other females so i left her with the others she seems to be doing fine but i know what you mean i do worry about her the most because of her age xx Emma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back