• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea friendly antibiotics

• Thread starter Thread starter Rhona
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rhona

hi everyone,
(sorry iv not been around much lately)
i really need your guys help again.
our we bailey lost a lot of weight recently after he fell out with his cage mates. so hes in for over the winter and already gaining weight again but today i noticed hes got a crackle coming from his chest. I looked at his eyes and nose and none have a discharge and all looks well on the eating and drinking just the crackling from his chest....

we have the vets tomorrow but i know she will suggest antibiotics but last time bailey had Baytril he had a bad reaction to it(he had a runny tummy and stopped eating and drinking and it took me a good month of feeding every 2 -4 hours to get him eating again)

so does anyone know of any A/B's ok for my boy?

also i know a lot of colds have been going round can guineas catch the common cold?

Rhona xx

Septrin is better for chest infections.Give a pro-biotic such as Bio-lapis or Avipro for the length of the course.This will help to stop diarrheoa occuring.

thank you muchly :) i have a thing about being prepared for vets (iv spent too long dealing with vets who know nothing about rats :-\)

Re: guinea friendly antibiotics (back from the vets :()

well its worse than we first thought. bailey has pneumonia :'(

the vet went through his notes and found that the locom vet that gave bailey the baytril the first time OVERDOSED him :tickedoff: no wonder he was poorly :( she didnt have any septrin but she weighed bailey and worked out the correct dosage for him and also something to back up the good bacteria in his tummy to hopefully stop him from getting a runny tummy and hes to have yalkult and lots of brown bread (hes not complaining he loves brown bread)

Pneumonia is a term a lot of vets use that puts panic into people. It's not necessarily as bad as it sounds. Piggies get upper respiratory infections and the antibiotic should help this. Do NOT give your piggy Yakult. This is a dairy product and pigs are herbivores - it could seriously upset his stomach (pigs can't digest the sugars in cows' milk). I'm also surprised a vet would recommend brown bread as routine - why was it suggested? Is he eating? What probiotic did you get?

Piggies don't get colds, colds are caused by a virus only humans can get.

the brown bread is just to keep him eating (sorry should have explained properly, when he stopped eating last time the one thing that got him even looking at solids was brown bred, so the vet suggested giving him it to help him put weight on)

Rhona said:
the brown bread is just to keep him eating (sorry should have explained properly, when he stopped eating last time the one thing that got him even looking at solids was brown bred, so the vet suggested giving him it to help him put weight on)

Do you have Critical Care? Bread is just carbohydrate and will put on flab, not condition. It doesn't have enough vitamins/nutrients. If he stops eating you really need a proper handfeeding supplement rather than relying on something he likes.

meh stupid me forgot to answer your Q's lol

she told me to use the yakult as a pro biotic but obviously now i wont be using that! i do have some vetark proC in just now though would that be ok?

hi everyone
thought id give a little update to how bailey is.
his poo is DRY :D ive never been so happy that hes got normal poo ;D
hes still eating away like normal too hes been a little quiet but i suspect that could be because every time he sees me i have a syringe of meds/pro c to squirt in his mouth ;D

Touch wood never had to use antibiotics on piggies ,but had akidney stone myself about ten years ago and was given septrin,it made me very ill ,thought it had been withdrawn along with bactrin

christine said:
Touch wood never had to use antibiotics on piggies ,but had akidney stone myself about ten years ago and was given septrin,it made me very ill ,thought it had been withdrawn along with bactrin

Bactrim and Septrin are just brand names of the same antibiotic - trimethoprim sulfa. It's a very old fashioned antibiotic that I'm also very allergic to but the paediatric suspension is still out there in general use! It is absolutely fantastic for pigs and very gentle on them unlike Baytril.

Thanks for the info re septrin and bactrin,interesting.

i swear my vets answer to anything guinea pig related is baytril. every time i have been with my boys i have been given baytril, and only once out of those times i was given a pro biotic. ive left that vet now but really need to find a new vet :(

glad to hear the piggy is doing better O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back