Guinea Allergies!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiakaree91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm a fairly new owner I've had my boys since the first week of December. I started having sinus issues after but seeing as it was winter and I live in an old apartment building I just contributed it to dry air and dust. I was holding Leif my smallest boy and when I put him down my Dad noticed I got really red on my chest. I told him it was just scratch marks cause Leif likes hiding in my hair and scrambles to get there. However it's not scratches it's a rash. I usually hold the boys with a towel on me so I don't get scratches but today I didn't. The sinus issues are pretty bad I go through a box of tissues every week or so. My moms a nurse and she said I'm most likely allergic to them. I don't want to get rid of my boys so I don't know what to do...

Try antihistamines. I have the same problem and they help a lot.

Same here. My doctor told me to get rid. Quite happily living on anti histamines...

I occasionally get a red rash that itches after I have held one of my guineas, it soon fades though. It sounds fairly common too as I have heard others mention it on here before.
Maybe try the antihystamines as has been suggested to see if it helps.

I have hay fever, so I am on antihistamines all year round, but when I was younger, I would come down with hives.

I would recommend not to cuddle your piggy on bare, exposed skin, apart from taking antihistamines.

I am allergic to hay ect as suffer with hayfever. Sometimes when the boys scratch me I get hives. Happily living on Piriton x1 a day. No issues now :) granted I'm not allergic like I am to furry pigs.

It's no hardship really is it. Even my dog sets me off now amd again :)

i have asthma and allergies to my piggies but i take an anti histamine every day and cuddle them in a fleece blanket. i seem to be a lot better holding them these days so maybe i'm becoming immune to them? who knows?

I have been into my two boys the last 2 mornings before taking Piriton. I am def NOT reacting like the first ever time. I think one def starts to become " used " to whatever it is that we are allergic too.

I agree pigs grow on you. I flair up every time I get a new pig but after a while I seem to become "immune" to them. I suffer from hives when they touch the insides of my arm when I get them at first and usually get quite stuffed up. I'm still a little stuffed up from my latest pigs but they nolonger gives me hives and its only been about 5 weeks!

If you allergies are worse I would try antihistamines. I find using disposable gloves when doing the spot cleaning and full cage vlean also helps.

Another on antihistamines here, though I do keep them outdoors for more than half the year. There are some animals even on antihistamines that I just cant breathe around ... an example is a chinese hamster not really sure why but I turn into a wheezing ball of flubber on the floor around them.

I'm also on some allergy medication, since recently I found out I'm allergic to a ton of stuff. I don't believe I'm allergic to my guinea pig, but I am of his hay. The allergy medication helps a lot. I think after a while you'll get immune to them, seeing as I am highly allergic to cats but I never seem to have any symptoms around them anymore (they've taken over my bed as their sleeping spot for the last several years).

That's the one animal I have never become "used" too. I still cant breathe, get covered in hives from the waist up and my eyes stream.Shame as I like cats. You can bet they always come to me too ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back