Guess Her Age And Breed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new here - it's nice to see a forum dedicated to guinea pigs!

I got my first guinea pig yesterday from my boyfriend's dad's pet shop (he buys the guinea pigs off breeders), but he wasn't sure about the breed and age of her. I was wondering if any of you could guess her age and breed so I could get a rough idea ;)

Here she is:

Bxeew9kCcAASIlo.jpg

This is Lady Cersei of Casterly Hutch (Huge Game of Thrones fan!)

Thank you, Raine.

She is gorgeous.Are you thinking of getting a friend for her? They need company of their own kind.Could have teddy in her.How big is she?

She is a teddy I'm sure of it. And I recon she is a few months old to a year. Hope this helped :)

She is gorgeous.Are you thinking of getting a friend for her? They need company of their own kind.Could have teddy in her.How big is she?

Yes! :) In the process of getting another sow. She's about... 20cm. Quite small.

Cersei says thank you ;)

Ooo she's cute! How old is she? Her fur looks a little long for a Teddy so I am thinking she is a Swiss maybe or a Rex cross. Does she have straight or curly whiskers? For reference mine is a Rex <<<<<<<<<<<<<< :wub:

If she's very young her ears will be different to an adult. Have you weighed her? That would give us a rough idea although pigs vary greatly a weekly weigh in might give us a clue :)

Her hair is a bit long for a teddy (I have currently two but had three), but her whiskers look rather straight for a rex, so there could be a bit of a cross in there. She is an agouti.

Without seeing her in pigson, it is difficult to age her correctly. She looks subadult, but that is about as far as I can say.

Please consider getting her a companion; guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to be on their own.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-companionship.37654/

We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care sections which you may like to browse through in the next few days, but you are welcome to ask any questions you may have, preferably in the appropriate section for best results.

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if added your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can always give you the best advice for you part of globe straight away.

Ooo she's cute! How old is she? Her fur looks a little long for a Teddy so I am thinking she is a Swiss maybe or a Rex cross. Does she have straight or curly whiskers? For reference mine is a Rex <<<<<<<<<<<<<< :wub:

I haven't the faintest idea! I'd guess she's a few months old. She has wavyish whiskers, not sure if that counts as curly. They're certainly not straight.

Her hair is a bit long for a teddy (I have currently two but had three), but her whiskers look rather straight for a rex, so there could be a bit of a cross in there. She is an agouti.

Without seeing her in pigson, it is difficult to age her correctly. She looks subadult, but that is about as far as I can say.

Please consider getting her a companion; guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to be on their own.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-companionship.37654/

We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care sections which you may like to browse through in the next few days, but you are welcome to ask any questions you may have, preferably in the appropriate section for best results.

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if added your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can always give you the best advice for you part of globe straight away.

Thank you very much. Yeah, I'm also guessing she is a cross.

We're going to get her a companion soon, but I hadn't realised how popular guinea pigs really were! I've been on the phone to all the breeders near me, and the babies sell out quickly, even at rescues! ):

I haven't the faintest idea! I'd guess she's a few months old. She has wavyish whiskers, not sure if that counts as curly. They're certainly not straight.

We're going to get her a companion soon, but I hadn't realised how popular guinea pigs really were! I've been on the phone to all the breeders near me, and the babies sell out quickly, even at rescues! ):
Have you tried the rescue locater? I live in London too and travelled to Bobtails rescue to adopt my neutered boar.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

It's hard to guess her age because there is no ruler or anything in the photo to show how big she actually is. And if she is a rex, or part rex (which she may be), she will probably be a bit bigger than other piggies her age. She looks SO much like my piggy, Doughnut, whose breed I think is some sort of rex hybrid. Doughnut has curly/wavy whiskers exactly like hers, too.

She could be part rex, part agouti, a hint of silkie (for fur length)? Rex + silkie = texel, which is definitely not the case, so there is definitely some other breed there. The way Doughnut's fur's shade changes on his face is very similar to your piggy's. I suspect Doughnut is the same sort of hybrid as your piggy. :) Doughnut's brother, Caramel, is definitely part silkie, so Doughnut will have silkie in his genes, possibly why his fur is a little longer than a typical rex or agouti.

Caramel doesn't appear to have any trace of rex, though, his fur is very smooth so he's more silkie + agouti, without the rex. I think a purebred silkie has longer fur than Caramel's, and his face shape looks like that of an agouti's, so it would make sense.

I know I talk about my own guinea pigs a lot here, but this is just to give you an idea of what kind of genes your piggy could have. It looks like a similar case for my piggy, so I thought I'd show it to you. :)

We have got a rescue locator on the top bar. Our recommended piggy savvy rescues all practice a mandatory quarantine and pregnancy watch, so you do not have to worry about the usual pitfalls for the unwary. All these rescues also offer a bonding service for single/beraved piggies at the rescue under epxert supervision so you can be sure that your couple will get on. Piggies - as much as they are social animals - have very distinct likes and dislikes. Letting them choose will make for a much happier pair! It is worth going the extra distance for total peace of mind. We cannot guarantee this for any places; there the risks and responsibilities likes quarantine and bonding will be all on your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back