• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Growth in Eyelid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thought I would post this for comments really! Just in case anyone had seen anything like it before. This is Rupert, a little boar who was born in rescue. He was born 'normal' but at a few weeks old developed a growth of hair on his inner eyelid, forcing the eyelid to turn out. The growth is now about pea-sized as you can see in the pic. He's not fully grown yet (born end Jan / early Feb). The vet said it would be easily removed once he was old enough to go under anaesthetic- my questions are

a) how big does he need to be?
b) will it re-occur?

The vet said it was that the cells inside the eye were wrong and therefore telling it to grow hair where it shouldn't.

DSCN3527.jpg

DSCN3528.jpg

DSCN3529.jpg

DSCN3531.jpg

His pretty side!

DSCN3532.jpg

Also he's bonded with Giles, an older boar - I'm worried if I split them for the op and aftercare they might not re-bond now Rupert is a bit older - would it be necessary to keep them apart?

Thanks

Sophie
x

I'm sure a few of us are interested in knowing something about this!
I've heard of it happening in newborns, but not heard of it lasting this long though.

I saw Rupert when this had just appeared and it's certainly grown larger since then. I'm afraid I've still no idea whats going on but I too would be very interested to hear any info on it.

Teresa x

I did send this as a pm just in case it "upset" some readers.
I had a pig with this condition, entropion. I treated him by pulling out the hairs, in his case that was sufficient to cure the problem. Some cases need the lump itself removed, simple procedure, performed under local anaesthetic. Rather like removing a lump in fatty eye.

Thanks AP - I did ask whether the vet could do it with local and he said no, so I think I'll get him to Vedra if he does need it surgically removed!

The vet said it was a genetic mix-up in the DNA in the eyelid - and that it wouldn't come back once removed - is that right? He wasn't born with it

He's a rescue pig so should be rehomed but I obviously don't want to rehome him if he might have problems later on

Sophie
x

S
A case of crossed PM!
Yes, tweezers.

Last edited:
Holly gets something like this on her lower eyelid. First time it happened it was because she'd damaged her eye and they were going to removed it but they managed to remove the growth. It still grows back and the vet said it's not causnig any harm to her so there's no point in risking more ops for it to most likely grow back again. She gets an eye drop/gel that shrinks it but I can't remember the name of it. It's a silver/grey tube with an orange band around it.

It sounds as though Holly has "fatty eye", (it tends to give pigs a bloodhound appearance!)
If it is fatty eye leave well alone, it causes the pig no bother.

She gets an eye drop/gel that shrinks it but I can't remember the name of it. It's a silver/grey tube with an orange band around it.

Sounds like Fucithalmic. :)

Thanks for posting the info AP. It's good to know the name of the condition, it is one I always forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back