Group bonding

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
It has been a rather long time since I have done a bonding 😬 I have adopted a beautiful pair of sows (Sally and addy -3) with the view to bond them with my existing pair of sows (marshmallow -4 and caramel-3) but if it doesn't work out between them it is no big deal as they will live happily as two pairs.
Currently they are neighboured and will be for at least a week 🥰 there has been some grooming near the divide and face licks through the divide so far which I'm hoping are positive signs 🥰 no signs of teeth chattering etc. Can someone please remind me of positive and negative signs at the neighbours stage and how to tell when they are ready for bonding on neutral ground? Sally and addy are known to be extra shy and timid but I'm very proud of them as they have both taken food from hand for the first time today and have spent a lot of time lounging out in the open 🥰

Look out for piggy washes across the divider - that is a positive sign.
For territorial (unfriendly) behaviours, you may find the respective entry in our newish Behaviour A-Z guide helpful: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Thankyou 💖 i have only ever done one group bonding previously and that was over 2 years ago so it is very helpful to have a refresher!

Thankyou 💖 i have only ever done one group bonding previously and that was over 2 years ago so it is very helpful to have a refresher!

Good luck!

Please have a plan B in case it doesn't work out. Or even a plan C. God knows I have often been there myself. One piggy took me to plan E before I gave up...

Good luck!

Please have a plan B in case it doesn't work out. Or even a plan C. God knows I have often been there myself. One piggy took me to plan E before I gave up...
Thankyou 💖
Plan B is to have one pair in the cage below- we currently use as storage since I haven't needed two setups since we did the last group bonding but I have certainly needed plans b, c and d before too with my rainbow bridge very fear aggressive fluffy 🙈 it would be lovely if they all decide to be friends as marshmallow and caramel definitely seemed happier in a group however if they decide they are happier as two pairs then two pairs it will be 😊

@Wiebke sorry to tag you on a Sunday. I have just abandoned bonding and separated again. But I am unsure if its the end of the road and we will have 2 separate pairs or if its more of a cool down period and try again?
Initially all went okay. Sally claimed the top spot which every pig accepted. Caramel (to our suprise as she has been bottom pig in every hierarchy she's ever been a part of) claimed second spot. The problems occurred between marshmallow and addy who had initially stayed out of the dominance dispute and had been happily eating/ grooming etc. They had a chinning off session then calmed to eat etc next to each other, this phase repeated a few times and seemed to be settling but marshmallow got spooked by caramel coming to join in eating and went slightly on overload with addy and came out with a shallow scratch below the eye. She did settle down and start eating again but as we noticed the wound we separated. When we placed them back into divided cages however all 4 were stood grooming at the divide. Hence I am unsure if it is the end of the road or if they just need time to cool down 🤔

Give them time to cool down and restart on another day. Guinea pigs do make a distinction between accidental scratches and intentional bites. This was clearly a misjudgment/overreaction in a stressful situation and not an intentional fight.

Your girls have obviously sorted out the leadership and are now trying to establish a group hierarchy.

Give them time to cool down and restart on another day. Guinea pigs do make a distinction between accidental scratches and intentional bites. This was clearly a misjudgment/overreaction in a stressful situation and not an intentional fight.
Thankyou 💖 I will give them more time as neighbours 🥰

Try again tomorrow. Things should be hopefully more relaxed and will proceed according to protocol.

If there are real issues, then tensions will mount again very quickly and you will know that the bonding is not going to work out.

Back