Grooming

Peanut&Hazel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if I needed to groom my guinea pigs. They are American short hairs and I have never groomed them before, but they do shed a lot on the fleece. If I were to groom them, would it be okay to use a clean, unused tooth brush to do it, or would I need to get a special brush? I have attached a photo of one of them for reference.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 11.57.46 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 11.57.46 PM.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 6
Generally, short hairs don't need much grooming. I had one girl that absolutely adored being combed anyways. I'd just take her out, put her on a little mat in my lap, and comb and it was the best thing ever in her books ... and then I would clean up all the fur left on the little mat ... don't forget the mat or towel! I just had a metal comb with teeth set finely on one side and wider on the other. I don't remember which I used for her. I've combed some of my other short-haired smooths, but they didn't really need it or care either way for the most part. The only time I *had* to groom a short-haired smooth was an incident with guinea pig lice, for which I got a superfine plastic comb (from the flea combs in the dog/cat aisle).
As for what type of comb or brush, it would be whatever your piggy likes.

Back