Grooming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering how often I should brush my Abyssinian guinea pig-to-be? I'm getting two, so don't worry. Thanks!

Well I have 2 abyssinians and had them for 1 and 2 weeks. I've brushed them once a week so far as I didn't want to over power them too much but I think once a week is about right I've had to trim Frazzle's bum hair as he had some knots when I first got him, but Bumble's has been fine so far. I've only used the soft bristled brush too so far

Grooming is great for bonding, once a week should be fine. Lots of veggie bribes may be needed if they're not used to it :)

Shorthair piggies don't need a lot of brushing; once a week is plenty. Wait until they have settled in and got their bearings. Start slowly with lots of encouragement and praise.

From my experience Abys aren't that keen on grooming, maybe it's the sworls of hair that go in all directions! I've only ever used a soft baby brush on mine, once every couple of weeks, if they are short haired Aby type that is fine, if they are Peruvian or long haired then you will need to brush them more often :)

I don't brush mine either, I find if you stroke them any loose hairs come out that way. I only brush my long haired's

Do they shed in a certain season? If they do, will I have to groom them more often during that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back