• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Grooming your longhaired piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was always thinking that I never wanted a longhaired piggy, as I thought they were so hard to take care of.

But now I have seen some friends with longhaired ones and I am slowly changing my mind.. cause it looks like its not actually a everyday grooming job that has to be done.

Do you think that it would be enough for an indoors longhaired guinea pig to get a thoroughly brushed fur every time I clean the cage? (which is like every three days or so) We do a quick check anway when we take them out for me to clean the cage, weigh them and check the nails etc.. do you think it would be enough if I gave a longhaired piggy a brush "now and again", and always checking there is no matted fur anywhere, esp. around the bum?

Or do you think that they do actually require DAILY grooming, plus biweekly baths and trimmings?

Every three days is absolutely fine and you can trim them as short as you like anyway which helps. I have to say my longhaired pigs are the most laid back pigs I know :smitten:

I have to admit i loved grooming Wiggy, I found it theraputic. I think as long as you keep them bathed with a decent shampoo (I recommend GG posh & go O0) then you will envy your long hair piggies locks!

My onghaired piggie doesn't get much grooming because he hates it soooooo much. He will not sit still for a second, not even with the aid of a parsley bribe! I tend to trim him really short (absolute nightmare to do, you just have to show him a pair of scissors and he goes psycho) and give him occaisional quick brushes when it grows a bit.
I think he likes the exploded loo brush look myself.

Jojo doesn't get that much grooming either, his hair seems to stay perfect and knot free :)

However I tend to keep it fairly short as I don't want him to end up with sticky hair in the way when he eats and also sticky smelling hair from wee and poop :)

I do my piggie once a week. I did give her a bath last weekend but I dont think she was too impressed!

Bertie (my Peruvian) absolutely hates being combed and he does a pretty good job of keeping himself well-groomed. So, I just tend to comb him when he has any tangles/when I think he needs it. I do try to keep the fur on his rear end short tho as he tends to get a bit dirty. I give him a bath about once a month but he hates that too!

If you get a long haired piggy avoid using sawdust as it can be hell for matting...i brush my longhaired two everyday but only because i have them on my lap every night and i enjoy doing it! :D

Now maggs is pregnant i only brush her once every 3-4 days as picking her up gets uncomfortable!

I remember once when harry has a massive matt it took an hour to get out :o...i hadny noticed it for a week as it was right underneith and so i had to end up cutting it out :(

But longhaired piggies are so so beautiful it is totally worth it O0 O0 O0

Ive just trimmed 4 of my girls tonight with the electric clippers.taking off the excess longggg hair that hang around their sides,they were all good but damn I had very hairy jeans afterwards

I think I may not groom Rocky as often as I should. The problem is I think he always thnks I'm hunting for bugs. ::)

I did my longhaired guinea (coronet) once a week, which was more then enough for her. :)

I think my Sheltie Tiger would start to get fed up with being on my knee if I groomed him every day, he hates it so much. Even with parsley/cucmber bribes he scoffs it so fast and then tries to run off! I do it every few days - anyway he is getting a bath on Friday, smelly boy! It is easier to groom them when they have been washed i find. Plus they smell nicer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back