Grooming A Very Wiggly Piggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, hope you're all well?

I am after some advice. I have 2 14 week old Shelties and they have long hair that need a groom and potential mats cut out. But they're so wiggly that I cannot groom them without them jumping, squeaking then managing to get out of my hands. They just won't stand / be still and I am worried that if I just leave them they'll be uncomfortable etc.

They were re-homed at 10 weeks old, so they weren't handled much then. Since being with me I have been trying to handle them every day, they only manage 5 minute slots and even then they're wrapped up in the towel...its hard work!

Originally I tried grooming them every day but I soon realised that they need to just get use to being held before I take a brush to them, and as mentioned - I wrap them in a towel when being handled until they're use to it, but that would be a while!

Any tips / advice would be grateful appreciated!

Rebecca

Difficult one, I would advise trimming the bum fur this will help out with the matted wee fur issue that happens with long haired piggies. Use food as a bribe to keep still while you are brushing and hold the fur near the root so as you brush you don't pull. The older they get the more still they will become, youngsters are livewires....

What I did last night was hand feeding them some cucumber then placing the cucumber in front of them to eat while I groomed but they just legged it as soon as they felt the brush! Wasn't interested in the cucumber anymore!
Is there a way of holding them still?!

Thanks
Rx

Have you got anybody else that could give you a helping hand? I appreciate that your piggies would have to get used to them too in order to be more confident when handled, and you would have to show them how to handle the piggies gently. One person could then cuddle a piggy while you tried 2 mins brushing, slowly building up the time over several weeks. Rewarding with veggie treats too! Alternatively I have known people introduce brushing using a rubber finger brush ( worn like a thimble) just a little bit at a time. It is important that year guineas are not roughly handled or they will associate grooming time with pain. Slowly does it, and Sport Billy's advice on trimming hair round back-end( very carefully!) will help keep things drier there. Be patient and you will get there:nod:. Good luck.

I asked this question a while back (Brushing grumpy long- haired sow) and got some good advice too: brush in an unfamiliar room so they're quieter; hold their back against your tummy, and feed them grass. It's still difficult but the advice made it easier.

Reactions: rjg
Welcome to the forum!
If you had someone to help you, that would work better. Me and my mother cut my Bacon's nails as a team, and he doesn't like it! ;) You could have someone gently but firmly hold them down with one hand, and you groom them!
If you don't have anyone to hold them, it's a bit tricky. You could speak softly and soothingly to your piggies, and calmly stroke them. When they begin to relax, gently take the brush and move it down their fur smoothly, trying not to get it tangled in any knots. If they STILL don't let you, you could contact your veterinarian and ask for suggestions. Overall you should probably try to work extra hard to tame your piggies. My eldest was very skittish when I got him, and always ran into his hutch whenever anyone would walk into the room. But now, he will just sit calmly on your lap and sometimes even doze off... it's adorable! Anyways, don't give up. Good luck!

Reactions: rjg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back