Groceries

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone wanna help me make a grocery list for the boys this week? I've noticed Chesney just likes to nibble and then leave his veggies. I'm a little worried Stripe will eat them all.

The veggies have to last 5 days because I have to work.

Have at it! Wanna create the perfect menu.

Any new veg has to be introduced to chesney slowly so you don’t cause him an upset tummy.
To be honest I only feed the main safe four routinely - lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, coriander/cilantro.
If they have anything else it’s purely because I’ve for it for us humans and then just happen to give a bit to the piggies

Any new veg has to be introduced to chesney slowly so you don’t cause him an upset tummy.
To be honest I only feed the main safe four routinely - lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, coriander/cilantro.
If they have anything else it’s purely because I’ve for it for us humans and then just happen to give a bit to the piggies
Great! Thanks. I'll get those 4. Stripe doesn't like cucumber, but maybe Chesney will.

Atm my 3 have lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and aubergine/egg plant. They also have sugar snap peas, runner beans, baby sweetcorn, cilantro/coriander, parsnip peelings, sprout peelings and bean sprouts basically, anything I happen to have in for the hooms they get a bit of.

Atm my 3 have lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and aubergine/egg plant. They also have sugar snap peas, runner beans, baby sweetcorn, cilantro/coriander, parsnip peelings, sprout peelings and bean sprouts basically, anything I happen to have in for the hooms they get a bit of.
Can they have the eggplant peels and flesh?

Can they have the eggplant peels and flesh?
Yes I just chop off a small disk about 1cm thick at most and dice it up and chuck it in their general direction along with all the other veg and they love foraging for it.

Yes I just chop off a small disk about 1cm thick at most and dice it up and chuck it in their general direction along with all the other veg and they love foraging for it.
Cool, because I like eggplant, too, so it won't go to waste.

Mine get the main four plus fresh herbs and green beans. As a treat they will get corn on the cob or baby corn. They will chew on a cob long after the corn has gone.
Otherwise maybe some carrot peelings or a smidge of broccoli stalk and cauliflower or celery leaves.

Can they have a tiny bit of apricot? I have some in the house, was just thinking about munching a couple myself.

It's quite sour, their tastes (like ours) will change as they get older.

I ordered the vitalicious herbs from Small Pet Select today. My boys love their red clover but it is high in calcium. Also ordered them a meadow grass chew!

I give them the main 4 regularly, often a bit of broccoli and cabbage (I peg the cabbage to the bars, they love pulling at it!), occasionally spinach, parsley, kale, watercress, and very occasionally a few blueberries!

Misty loves coriander/cilantro. So much so that when we are having cuddletime and I say to her "is it coriander time?" she pulls at my clothing to say she wants some. Then when I get up she's already looking for it.

Misty loves coriander/cilantro. So much so that when we are having cuddletime and I say to her "is it coriander time?" she pulls at my clothing to say she wants some. Then when I get up she's already looking for it.
Cute. I'd like mine to learn their names.

Cute. I'd like mine to learn their names.

They will do. When I first adopted Misty and her daughter Bramble last year, I hand fed them their veggies and every time I gave Misty some I said her name and the same with Bramble too. It took a while but now they know them. You just have to be consistent. Every time you hand feed your piggies say that piggie's name.

Heading to the grocery store. Thanks for all the ideas! Chesney got a little more lettuce today because I hand fed it to them so they each got some. But when Stripe was done he did steal Chesney's piece!

Stripe has gotten so arrogant! But he's happy, that's all that matters.

Stripe is scared of the mint! He must not like the smell. He walks up to it and jumps and runs away! Chesney had one leaf and left the second.

My piggies had the same reaction when I offered them a bit of strawberry one time!

Mine didn't like fresh mint but they hoovered up the dried mint that came with the box of forage.🤷‍♀️ Now they love fresh mint! :doh: Who knows how a piggies mind works.🤔

Stripe said hard pass on the coriander/cilantro, too. But I'm going to keep buying it for Chesney that way Stripe won't steal it.

Stripe said hard pass on the coriander/cilantro, too. But I'm going to keep buying it for Chesney that way Stripe won't steal it.
Chesney may well teach Stripe that coriander/cilantro is not poison. Remember with piggies what is poison one day is tomorrow's favourite.

Back