Grieving time?

exia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Joe lost his buddy Bob today. Bob started showing us Saturday he did not feel great, he was a bit tired and just... Off? Hard to explain, you just know your pig. Sunday night he had a clearly laboured breathing and we went to vet this morning. Lymphoma, and there really wasnt something to discuss but the decision is always disgusting. I'm very much in chock even though I know these pigs is pray-animals. He was happy, eating and begging for food. Ate his basils at the vet. And thats how I want to remember him - as my little happy feet.

I'm gonna miss this little dude sososo much, as will his best buddy Joe. These two have been together their whole life - 4,5 years. They are each others everything. Joe was at his side to the last breath and I can tell by his acting and looks that he misses his Bobby.

We now have three boars living in separate cages. Joe and Chip always had a thing for each other. I dont know yet if its a good or a bad thing, but I'm curious about try to bond them to live together. My feeling is that Kongo just wants to have his food, and are pretty happy to just be a neighbour. Food first.

I guess this is pretty much up to every individual, but can anyone give me some thoughts about the grieving time frame? How much time should I give Joe to settle without his best buddy? Days, weeks?
I guess that Joe will bounce back quicker than me. He actually seems pretty fine besides from a sad aura.

Whats your experiences?
If I try to bond Joe and Chip I want them to last, and I guess these last days had been quite stressful for Joe...

IMG_20240704_220845.webp
Spider Bob and hungry Joe Friday night

I’m sorry for your loss.
I would give him a week or so but you can certainly try a bond whenever you are ready - either then or even later.

I was recently left with three single boars (two were previously bonded but had a fight, the third was bereaved in march). They all lived side by side. They were all dominant. I wasn’t going to attempt to bond the bereaved with one of the others and was going to leave them all side by side.
I decided two months later that I actually would try it. As I say they were all dominant so I was prepared for there to be fireworks. However the bereaved boar is 6 years old (the other 2 years old) and just wanted company and the bonding went perfectly.

I would also add that those sticks in the cage are not recommended - they are unhealthy and the seeds can pose a danger

Firstly I'm so sorry for your loss it is heartbreaking and can be shocking Bob is happily popcorning over the Rainbow Bridge and you are right to remember him in his happiest moments 🌈
Take time for all of you if Joe seems ok there is no rush and he probably knew his buddy Bob was ill even though we humans don't know they do and he will have started his grieving for him in a way before today. 💙
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be on soon with some better advice. Take care 💐

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry for your loss. Please give any companion who is eating and drinking time to grieve for themselves eve if it is hard for you to watch them when they are withdrawn. They will usually come out of deep mourning after a few days even if they have lost their sparkle. Some piggies will just plod on; that is how they are wired individually - and not because they are not grieving.

Unless you are dealing with a piggy who cannot cope being on their own (there are those as well), then you usually have between 1-4 weeks ideally to come up with new company, either next door or dating or home intros. Please always hav a plan B in case a bonding is not coming off.

This guide here has all the practical advice:

First; I will threw them sticks way @Piggies&buns 👍

And thank you all for your colodenses ❤️ it warms my heart when people in general tends think its just one Guinea pig out of four...

Joe acts a bit paranoid and skittish, I think his looking for Bob. We cleaned the cage out yesterday but he still have houses and things smelling like Bob. But he eats as normal, walks around as normal and is begging for food as normal. They had such a close bond and used to share the big house, and my guess is that Joe knew what was going on and is a bit on the way in the process.

Chip started chirping yesterday. He was standing in the middle of his cage with his nose pointing upwards (where Joe and Bob lives, and Chip is very much aware of that). Never heard that before. He also acts a bit skittish, and he is normally not skittish at all. He was hard to make contact with, and thats not normal for Chip. Does this animals has some kind of sixth sense? It was very beautiful and sad at the same time.

An update;

I was so nervous we stressed Joe, but my Joe-sense told me this guy really missed Bob and needed a buddy. A new buddy cant replace Bob, just became a new companion. I think I forgot how it was to have teenage boars, because this amount of Rumble 😵

Now I have two really happy guys living together. It was no drama. Just alot of Rumble and humping.Alot of face licking! They spent almost 24hours on the kitchen floor bonding before moving in two their new big cage. Kongo got an extension and is now jumping around in a bigger kingdon. Everyone seems happy. Chip seriously missed having a buddy to share his food with.IMG_20240830_125140.webpIMG_20240830_142433.webp
Bonding-time!
IMG_20240831_173720.webp
Kongo has a new, very big house. For a very big boy.

First; I will threw them sticks way @Piggies&buns 👍

And thank you all for your colodenses ❤️ it warms my heart when people in general tends think its just one Guinea pig out of four...

Joe acts a bit paranoid and skittish, I think his looking for Bob. We cleaned the cage out yesterday but he still have houses and things smelling like Bob. But he eats as normal, walks around as normal and is begging for food as normal. They had such a close bond and used to share the big house, and my guess is that Joe knew what was going on and is a bit on the way in the process.

Chip started chirping yesterday. He was standing in the middle of his cage with his nose pointing upwards (where Joe and Bob lives, and Chip is very much aware of that). Never heard that before. He also acts a bit skittish, and he is normally not skittish at all. He was hard to make contact with, and thats not normal for Chip. Does this animals has some kind of sixth sense? It was very beautiful and sad at the same time.

Having a room full of them living in adjoining cages, I can affirm that they are very much aware of their neighbours. In the wake of a death, the room is rather eerily quiet as they all know each other through the bars from time shared roaming exercise through the bars.

Guinea pigs have a much, much finer sense of smell and can smell illness long before us. They also know when a piggy's voice and scent is no longer there. The chirping was Chip reacting to the uneasiness and upset and expressing it. Guinea pigs don't feel any less deeply than us humans and they live in a much more complex society than most humans give them credit for.

It is hard for you ti witness as a loving owner but you need to allow them to work through it just as you have to. They are going to pick up with their normal life sooner because their survival instinct is stronger and the immediate needs are more pressing than for us. Could you move Chip and Joe next to each other for companionship through the bars? It can help a little.

Back