Grid Compatibility: Songmics vs. Amazon Basics (spoiler: they are NOT)

Cheekypigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just a warning to bargain hunters about the Amazon Basics grids: they are very well built and sturdy, but they have thicker edge wires and bigger connectors, so they are not at all compatible with the other grids we have, which are Songmics brand, and even more surprisingly, they make a bigger cage in all directions, despite the panels being exactly the same size, because the bigger connectors create slightly bigger spacing between the grids. A 5-grid-long cage is 4cm longer with the Amazon Basics grids than with the Songmics ones.

I am very happy with the Basics grids but just worth knowing that they are different like this. Also, I haven't yet found a source of spare connectors for them, which is annoying, as I could do with a few more and the only way the get them is to buy a whole new set. Replacement Songmics connectors are pretty easy to get.

Have you thought about using zip ties as replacement connectors? Just cut the extra bit at the end off so that your piggies don't chew them. They are dead cheap from In-Excess.

I’ve got an absolute mish mash of grids and connectors. I use one type at the ends and corners and other type down the sides with cable ties where needed. It’s all a bit Heath Robinson but works fine.

Have you thought about using zip ties as replacement connectors? Just cut the extra bit at the end off so that your piggies don't chew them. They are dead cheap from In-Excess.

Yes, I've done that, but actual connectors would make it all a bit more rigid.

It's not a major issue, just an annoyance.

That would definitely be a nuisance, but the most important thing is, what is the size of the holes? Some of the cheap copies have fewer cross pieces, so the holes are bigger and young pigs can get their heads stuck in them.

Last edited:
Back