Grease glands

Honey&truffle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Guinea pig has never had a problem with her grease gland before. However, yesterday it became very solid and messy. I have brushed around it and used coconut oil and it now is feeling much softer and looking cleaner.

Could this have occurred because her hormones are currently balancing out due to her ovarian cyst operation? And is the black colouring and a bit of hardness normal as I’ve never noticed it before?

These pictures are the before and afters.

Attachments

• IMG_5736.webp
    IMG_5736.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5748.webp
    IMG_5748.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi, If you’re concerned it would be best to get your piggy in for a vet check just to rule out anything else.

I’ve never owned any sows, but I would imagine her operation may have put her out of sorts. You can also phone the vets and I am sure they would be more than happy to answer your question.

I hope all is well with her x

There does look like some kind of sore in the bottom left corner of the first photo? I would definitely get her checked out to be in the safe side

There does look like some kind of sore in the bottom left corner of the first photo? I would definitely get her checked out to be in the safe side
The red looking cyst has already been looked at . It’s a seperate issue and Luckily we think it’s harmless as it’s been draining on its own and has gotten much smaller. But I’m just confused as to why her grease gland is black and if it’s a normal colouring or not . But thank you for your concern :)

Back