Grease Glands; How Clean Is Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 boars and today I gave them both a bath. I haven't cleaned their grease glands before - thanks to this forum for pointing out the need for this. Before bathing I used swarfega on their grease glands. It made a bit of difference but there's definitely still a lot of gunk there (no infection or pain or anything) I was gently rubbing it in for several minutes and then I bathed them. Are grease glands meant to be super clean? Should I have persevered and made sure they were totally clean or should I just give them another clean in a week or so? It seemed like I used quite of swarfega. Would a different cleaning agent be better or is swwarfega the most effective?

Clean is squeeky clean dry skin. Sometimes I can't believe there's just clean skin there, nothing else (I've noticed anyway). I use swarfega and rub it in, leave it for a while then shampoo off. This weekend has been good for drying in the sunshine!

Oh thanks :) will it be ok to wash them again this week or should I leave them?

I also use Swarfega and rub it in. Leave it about 5 minutes and rinse it off. Sometimes it needs done twice much to Kasper's disgust.

I use Swarfega on my pigs grease gland. Ones is worse than the others. I tend. To wet my pigs bum, swarfega it, then wash it off and sometimes the rest of him. I. Don't use much water as he tends to hate bath times x

Keeping it short around the bum and grease gland area helps to cut down on the mess. I'm quite lucky as my boars aren't too bad but use swarfega exactly as the above posters and have no problems. Squeaky clean piggies (eventually happy when they have forgiven you for rubbing around that area, lol!) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back