• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Grease gland - how should it look?

• Thread starter Thread starter Loopylou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loopylou

I gave the new boys a bath today in preparation for bonding.
Anyway, I noticed that Sweep has what looked like a lot of stuck on dirt or poo on what I believe is his grease gland. I have never really noticed the gland on my other piggies so this is all new territory for me. I put some extra shampoo on the area and gave it a good rub, but it still doesn't appear completely clean, but I didn't want to overly stresss him as hee only arrived yesterday. I had also noticed that he is pretty smelly! Would that be why?
Should the grease gland normally look like just skin and hair and is it normal to get this kind of build up on it?

My foster piggy Murphy had a dirty bum, i bathed him last weekend and it didnt all come off. I have heard it suggested that a little bit of washing up liquid helps get the grease gland clean. :)

Rub in a bit of swafega hand cleanser on to his grease gland, but don't let him touch it, leave it for a minute or two depending how patient your piggy is! Then bath as normal, i.e., rinse, shampoo, rinse etc and you should find his grease gland clean it may take a couple of go's to make it beautiful!

Swafega can be bought in car shops, or Wilkinsons somewhere like that (I got mine in Wilko's)

The swarfega I bought recently from B&Q is much nicer than the old stuff that used to come in a red tub. It's more "natural" and smelt quite nice. If the area is really bad, leave the swarfega on for a few minutes and gently use an old toothbrush to rub the area, it usually peels off - very satisfying :) Don't worry if a little hair comes away with it, it's quite normal. I had a piggy staying once that I had been asked to bath and I don't think his grease gland had ever been cleaned - came up a treat and the little chap certainly smelt heaps better and hopefully felt better too.

Why is it that boys (of any species) are always muckier than girls? ;D Good luck with the Swarfega if you decide on that. I'd deffo use that rather than washing up liquid as it's just brill at breaking down any kind of grease and works much much quicker than wul! O0

Caviesgalore said:
If the area is really bad, leave the swarfega on for a few minutes and gently use an old toothbrush to rub the area, it usually peels off - very satisfying :)

I know what you mean!

This may sound really silly but i had guinea's as i why growing up and thought i'd only ever had girls.... but i can distinctly remember two of them having greasy spots! does this mean they were definately boys? it was a long time ago and i was very young at the time! i'm a much better guinea mum to my 2 girls ( these pair are definately girls! we checked several times! ) now i'm older and wiser! :)

Mmmmmmmmmm? I once had a sow that had very definite grease glands - I know she was a sow cos she gave birth to four pups! ;D She was quite light coloured so maybe it just showed up more 98)

Aha! So i wasnt being quite so daft as i thought! My girls dont have them though. But the girls i had when i was younger were lighter colours so maybe you are right. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back