Grazing time

Tilly92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a new girl, she has been eating handpicked grass for a few days and today had 2 hours out on the grass with no ill effects .Can i increase grazing time by 2 hours a day?

I have a new girl, she has been eating handpicked grass for a few days and today had 2 hours out on the grass with no ill effects .Can i increase grazing time by 2 hours a day?

That sounds like too much in one go to me if she is new and you don’t know what access to grass she has had before.
Id not do more than 15 minutes a day for the first week on the grass. I would then increase by 15 mins for a few days. Then increase by 30 mins for a week. Etc building it up over a few weeks.

Any ill effects of too much grass today won’t necessarily show up today. Could be tomorrow or the next day even.

When my piggies went out on the grass where I used to live (they don't now as foxes in the garden day and night), I put them on the lawn for 15 mins, for the first few days and then increased it to half an hour for another few days and kept increasing it every few days by 15 mins until they were out all day. It takes patience as you want them out on the grass all day every day immediately, but to protect their tummies it's worth it.

To add, you have to go through the gradual process every year.
I start reintroducing grass each spring by picking it for them starting around February. I do that for about two months and then come April (in a normal year!) they can go out for a 15 mins. It’s usually around June before they are out for longer periods and some time in mid to late July they are usually out around 12-14 hours a day.
This year with how cold and wet it’s been we are well behind that! They’ve only been out three times so far

Back