grass

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
getting my new babies tomorrow and i’m sooo excited!:love:
i know its best to leave them for a few days to let them settle in, but i was wondering once this period is over, can they go straight into the run on the grass in the garden, or is it like new veggies and has to be introduced slowly? can this be done buy just placing hand picked grass and placing in their cage? how much time should i do this over before putting them in the run and should i just start with a couple of hours a day in the run rather than full day (obviously bringing them in before dark!) hope this is okay to ask and i’m not being silly lol! thanks all x

Grass needs to be introduced slowly. Don’t start with a couple of hours as it will be too much.
Start with about 10 minutes to begin with and then building it up by adding 10-15 minutes every few days/week. It will take several weeks before they can be on it for a couple of hours.
You can also pick handfuls of grass for them to start their adjustment to grass rather than putting them on it.
I start this around the end of February/beginning of March (weather dependent) so long before it’s warm enough for them to actually be put on the lawn.

Grass time needs to be built up slowly after every winter

Be sure to cover their run with a sheet and provide lots of hides. Piggies are often scared to be out in the run and being covered can help them feel more settled (same goes for in the cage when you first bring them home).

Last edited:
Grass needs to be introduced slowly. Don’t start with a couple of hours as it will be too much.
Start with about 10 minutes to begin with and then building it up by adding 10-15 minutes every few days/week. It will take several weeks before they can be on it for a couple of hours.
You can also pick handfuls of grass for them to start their adjustment to grass rather than putting them on it.
I start this around the end of February/beginning of March (weather dependent) so long before it’s warm enough for them to actually be put on the lawn.

Grass time needs to be built up slowly after every winter

Be sure to cover their run with a sheet and provide lots of hides. Piggies are often scared to be out in the run and being covered can help them feel more settled (same goes for in the cage when you first bring them home).
wow i didn’t realise this so i’m glad i asked! thanks, yeah no worries i’ve had rescue pigs before so i know about hideys and covers on runs etc.

When I put my piggies out on the lawn at my old house (unfortunately can't here as there is a fox that comes into the garden during the day) I put them out for 15 minutes and increased it by 15 minutes every 2-3 days until they were on the grass for 4 hours then they were on the lawn all day. It takes a couple of weeks but it saves bad tummies and vets bills. I used to set the timer so I would know when it was time to take them off the lawn.

When I put my piggies out on the lawn at my old house (unfortunately can't here as there is a fox that comes into the garden during the day) I put them out for 15 minutes and increased it by 15 minutes every 2-3 days until they were on the grass for 4 hours then they were on the lawn all day. It takes a couple of weeks but it saves bad tummies and vets bills. I used to set the timer so I would know when it was time to take them off the lawn.
fabulous thankyou! going to screenshot this and follow!

Exciting! Remember to give them at least two hides (with two exits) and leave them alone for a week - as tempting as it is 😆 talk as you approach their cage and start using ‘phrases’ that are easily recognisable. You’re going to love it!

Exciting! Remember to give them at least two hides (with two exits) and leave them alone for a week - as tempting as it is 😆 talk as you approach their cage and start using ‘phrases’ that are easily recognisable. You’re going to love it!
they’ve got lots of hides! i can’t wait!

i don’t know if i’ll be able to wait a whole week though! i’ve read the ‘settling in’ guide on here which says at least 48 hours so ill try my hardest for a week but it’ll be 48 hours at the very least!

i don’t know if i’ll be able to wait a whole week though! i’ve read the ‘settling in’ guide on here which says at least 48 hours so ill try my hardest for a week but it’ll be 48 hours at the very least!

Patience and taking it at their pace is key! Sitting by their cage and talking to them is the best place to start, then by offering food from your hand (which could take weeks for them to accept that).

hi everyone! just wondering if the rules on putting piggies out on grass are as long as its a dry day and the grass isn’t wet they can be out? for example is 16 degrees here today, cloudy and a bit windy, would my girls be able to go out on a day like today or should i just keep lawn time to when the sun is shining and you can feel the heat?

hi everyone! just wondering if the rules on putting piggies out on grass are as long as its a dry day and the grass isn’t wet they can be out? for example is 16 degrees here today, cloudy and a bit windy, would my girls be able to go out on a day like today or should i just keep lawn time to when the sun is shining and you can feel the heat?

Yes it sounds as if they can be out today where you are.
The guide is if you can be outside without feeling chilly and stand on the grass without getting wet feet, then it’s ok for them to be out.
(You must be careful on a sunny day as the heat can build quickly even in a run on the lawn)

Yes it sounds as if they can be out today where you are.
The guide is if you can be outside without feeling chilly and stand on the grass without getting wet feet, then it’s ok for them to be out.
(You must be careful on a sunny day as the heat can build quickly even in a run on the lawn)
brilliant thanks, iv just hand picked some grass for them today as i wasn’t sure but they had their first grass day yesterday and loved it! i can’t wait to work our way up with the times and for them to be out grazing all day!
yep of corse, it’s crazy how hot it can get!

hi all, just another quick question about grass time! so with our unpredictable weather i’ve not actually been able to put the girls out continuously on the grass for longer than 2 days at a time, keeping it to just 15 minutes a day, i’m wondering if i need to wait until they’ve continuously been out daily for a week before i increase the time or if its safe / okay to add another 5 minutes now and maybe increase the times after say 7 days (not continuously) of whatever the last timing we have worked up too was? i hope this makes sense lol, i may just be overthinking this but i really don’t want to cause my girlies any tummy upset!

I would give them a couple more days at 15mins then start increasing. Mine won’t be able to have any grass yet as my husband put down weed killer and feed. He’s only cut it once! I may see if there’s a patch he didn’t put any and just cut from there.

I would give them a couple more days at 15mins then start increasing. Mine won’t be able to have any grass yet as my husband put down weed killer and feed. He’s only cut it once! I may see if there’s a patch he didn’t put any and just cut from there.

okay thankyou! oh no nightmare, at least you won’t have to pull weeds piggies can’t have!

okay thankyou! oh no nightmare, at least you won’t have to pull weeds piggies can’t have!
They could have them. It was mainly dandelions but I don’t give them much anyway. There’s a patch near the shed…a very small patch though. I might ask friend across the road if I can go cut some.

They could have them. It was mainly dandelions but I don’t give them much anyway. There’s a patch near the shed…a very small patch though. I might ask friend across the road if I can go cut some.

oh i wish our garden just had dandelions lol! ah yes thats a good idea!

There’s a front bit to the house and there are some dandelions there as well. We even had sticky weed growing this year! The house is near some fields so that’s likely where the weeds are blown in from. He got rid of the stinging nettles last year. But before he did, I did dry some for the piggies. Things we do eh 🤕

There’s a front bit to the house and there are some dandelions there as well. We even had sticky weed growing this year! The house is near some fields so that’s likely where the weeds are blown in from. He got rid of the stinging nettles last year. But before he did, I did dry some for the piggies. Things we do eh 🤕

wow, lots of dandelions then! we have a few to be fair but also loads and loads of different weeds that i have trouble identifying so its a nightmare!

Back