Grass/veg mix?

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Just a quick question. Now that the weather is nice my 2 pigs are outside on the grass for about 7 hours a day. They get cucumber & 5-6 pellets each in the morning and red pepper and 5-6 pellets in the evening and then interesting leaves/herbs/veg to make things slightly interesting (not all days). They have access to hay as well outside. So now that they are eating grass throughout the day should I stop giving them the cucumber in the morning as I am worried that they are eating too much veg?

When grass is rich in spring and autumn time then it’s best to count it more towards part of their veg portion and ease up on the watery veg like cucumber If they are getting a lot of grass.
In summer, grass is drier and much more like hay, so you dont want to cut out wetter veg like cucumber. The cucumber will help keep them hydrated.
In summer mine can be out 14 hours a day, I keep their veg diet as normal particularly making sure they get an extra slice of cucumber in hotter weather as one of mine in particular isn’t a good drinker.

Thank you so much! They didn't go out much in the spring as the weather wasn't that warm but now it's happy days!

Back