Grass seed. How long should I wait before putting the piggies on the grass?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My husband is laying grass seed next weekend to kill off the moss and enrich the grass. Obviously not yet as it’s still too cold but how long after treatment should I wait before allowing the piggies to graze on the grass?

So he is using a weed and feed product but not actually sowing new seed?

A weed and feed type product requires 3-4 cuts after application before the piggies can go back on it.

Grass seed starts to germinate in around 10 days and then obviously you’d want it to get a bit more established before letting the piggies on it

Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

So he is using a weed and feed product but not actually sowing new seed?

A weed and feed type product requires 3-4 cuts after application before the piggies can go back on it.

Grass seed starts to germinate in around 10 days and then obviously you’d want it to get a bit more established before letting the piggies on it

Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

I’m not sure to be honest, I think so. All I know is he has a box of grass seeds that he is going to lay on the patchy areas of the grass at the weekend

I’m not sure to be honest, I think so. All I know is he has a box of grass seeds that he is going to lay on the patchy areas of the grass at the weekend

If it is just grass seed and not a chemical to kill moss, then you’ll need to wait for the seed to germinate and establish. It’s been 12 years since we last had to sow grass seed but Ive got a vague recollection that you leave it for six weeks after sowing before it’s strong enough to do the first cut so I wouldn’t put the piggies on it before then otherwise they may damage it before it gets going.

If it is just grass seed and not a chemical to kill moss, then you’ll need to wait for the seed to germinate and establish. It’s been 12 years since we last had to sow grass seed but Ive got a vague recollection that you leave it for six weeks after sowing before it’s strong enough to do the first cut so I wouldn’t put the piggies on it before then otherwise they may damage it before it gets going.
Yes it's just grass seed that he's going to use. I wasn't planning on putting them out until May time anyway so that should give the seed plenty of time to germinate and establish then. I was just worried about then eating the seed. Thank you for your help

Back