Grass question

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

The pigs have been getting grass every few weeks through the winter (slow growth), but now we're in spring the grass is growing much quicker which allows me to feed it more often. I'm currently feeding them small amounts every 2-3 days so I don't upset any tums. Today I picked way too much grass and actually have 2 days worth. Am I able to keep it in the fridge for a few days or am I better off getting fresh when I need it. If it can't go in the fridge I'll dry it and mix it in with other bits of forage I find throughout the year.

If you need to store it longer than a few days, lay it out on newspaper or paper towels somewhere dry and let it dry out. Basically home made readigrass. Make sure it's dry before you feed it, I don't think semi-dried grass would be good for them. I've done this before when having an excess of long grass hand-trimmed from the little guinea pig garden, as it grows too fast for two pigs to keep it short.

(Just as a warning for anyone reading this, never feed animals grass clippings from a mower, only hand cut/picked grass).

Back