Grass For Bladder Sludge/Stone Pig

kiwipig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi all! i want to start growing grass for my guinea pig but she has an issue with bladder sludge and just had a bladder stone (passed it on her own!). is there a certain kind of grass I should choose that is lower in calcium? some say wheatgrass is high in calcium, and others say it’s not. i just don’t know what’s true.

if wheatgrass is high in calcium, can someone please recommend another option? i heard orchid and oat grass might be good

i want to limit her pellets which is the main reason i'm deciding to do this. she already gets filtered water and pellets are the next highest thing she eats regarding calcium so i want to lower her intake while replacing it with something else - aka grass.

any help on what type of grass to start growing that is low in calcium would be greatly appreciated!

I've linked the Hay Guide for calcium comparison. I know it's not exactly the same numbers for fresh grass as it's more concentrated but it will give you an idea of which are higher. Scroll down to the comparison chart.
I buy ordinary grass seed to grow for my boys, they also get the lawn grass when it's growing. The amounts of calcium in different types of grass are so similar I don't think it makes much difference. I grow a little Wheat Grass as a treat, I find it's not so good to grow as it goes brown after 2 cuttings where as ordinary grass keeps growing.

A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

Hopefully someone who can explain it all better will be along soon.

thank you! i think i’m going to grow oat grass for her instead. i would rather be on the safe side as i keep hearing wheat grass has high calcium (although some say it doesn’t so i dont know).

since i plan on eliminating pellets, is there anything i need to give her that she will no longer be getting (ex. vitamins, etc)?

Back