grass box

superka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
made a grass box for my guinea pigs. it has cat grass in it, i had extra (didn't realize how much seeds were in one bag...) I let the piggies nibble on it every few days. I know they can eat cat grass but i'm not sure if it should be classified like veggies and limit how much they eat or if it's more like hay and if i let them finish the whole thing, it doesn't matter. once they finish off this tray I'm gonna buy a bag of traditional grass seeds. any one that has answers feel free to let me know. ditto for suggestions on grass seeds to buy as theirs like 200 types of grass. other wise here's your traditional payment of piggy pictures for reading my post :tu:
grass box (2).webpgrass box (1).webp

No advice here as I can't even keep a pot plant alive, what lucky piggies!:wub:
if you ever need advice feel free to ask i have quite the green thumb. cat grass is as easy as it gets... mix dirt with water to make a paste out of the dirt. throw seeds on top lightly cover with dry soil and water the dry soil damp (you shouldnt see the seeds after watering). put it in the sun and water it every day (you can miss the first day after planting it)... its grass so its very hard to screw it up. as long as you're not making soup with the dirt you're fine. even if you do make soup if it has a good root base you got little to worry about. also with most plants once the plant is mostly grown and you have roots coming out the bottom you wanna water it mostly from the base to encourage more root growth. you dampen the soil occasionally with nutrient infused water to replace what was taken out of the soil from time to time. fun fact you can use a dash of waste from your piggies kitchen area to infuse the water with nutrients. just use veeery little as it actually has too much nutrients for the plants and you can burn the plants. the poops are fine, its the urine. its very rich in stuff like nitrogen and phosphates ect. little bit goes a looong way. like a table spoon liquid urine would be good for a 16L bucket of water.... you can actively use poops as top soil manure. just mix it with the dry soil. in about a week its ready to give to you piggies. reachings max high in about 15 days. cut trimmings or let them eat it right out of the ground for that authentic feel of the before times.

Personally the grass is just the first to really grow to maturity i got a small garden planeted for them. dill sage mint ect, even some flowers. they're just too small to give yet. gotta get it nice and ripe for the perfect flavors.

Back