Grain free nuggets?

EddieandMaurice

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Are grain free nuggets better for guinea pigs?
I’m not sure what to feed them.
They are on Harrington’s at the moment, which they really like.

These are my options for nuggets:
•Harrington’s
•Science selective grain free ( or the normal one)
•Small pet select premium guinea pig food

Does anyone have an opinion on which is best?

Grains are just fillers in nuggets and are not a recommended part of a guineapigs diet so yes I’d say that grain free is better.
I think Harrington’s are also grain free (don’t quote me on that though!) , I know they are cold pressed which is also a good thing so I would stick with them if your piggies are enjoying them!
Just remember that they only need a table spoon per pig per day as nuggets are higher in calcium 😊

:agr:

As above, grain is a filler used in most commercial pellets because it’s cheap but if at all possible choosing grain free is a good move.
Ideally you want a pellet which is timothy hay based. If you are then looking for grain free and low calcium, then of the ones on that list, the ss grain free fits all of those (timothy based, grain free and calcium is one of the lowest at 0.6%)

The others are absolutely fine though so whichever one you choose is ok, it’s just they arent all timothy based and/or arent grain free and the calcium content of them is higher.

The small pet select is timothy based so that’s good but doesn’t appear to be grain free. It’s calcium says it’s not more than 0.6%.
Harrington’s isnt timothy hay based and it’s calcium content says it is 0.8%, but I know it is one of the more commonly fed ones.
The normal science selective I wouldnt use personally because it’s primary ingredient is alfalfa (which isn’t recommended) and due to the alfalfa it’s calcium content is also higher at 0.8%.

But it comes down to personal preference and what your piggies like! Whichever pellet you feed it should be limited to one tablespoon per pig per day only As even the ss grain free still contains a lot of calcium

Nugget Comparison Chart

Forgot to add, it’s the calcium to phosphorous ratio which you also look at so that is why I added in the link to the guide in the food section as that gives the ratio details.
Its all very complicated but all we can do as owners is to choose one we are comfortable with, ideally timothy based and ideally grain free and then whichever we give, keep it limited. Limiting pellets along with filtering drinking water goes a long way

Back