• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

GP's nails need clipping can anyone help?

• Thread starter Thread starter Anne-Marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anne-Marie

Their nails need clipping i have tried but i'm not confident enough don't want to hurt them. The vet wants £10 each pig to do it.
Was going to be really cheeky and ask if anybody on here could do it i would pay them i just haven't got the confidence to do it :embarassed: thanks

liverpool.
I just think the vet is a bit of a rip off charging that

Hi Ann see SunshineandTwinkle - Louise lives in Liverpool ask her if she knows anyone in your Area

I would offer to do them but am in W.Midlands

I work in a local independent pet shop and we cut piggy/bunny nails for a small donation in the charity box, if you have a reliable pet shop near you maybe you could ask for help?

Amy.x. :smitten:

Hi Anne-Marie,

I'm in Liverpool and my vet wanted £6.00 for free pigs plus £11.00 for looking at them. So £17.00 not bad really. They seem ok. Where about are you? I'm near Belle Vale and my vet is in Gateacre. :)

Louise
:)

I'm in crosby my vet wants £10.00 each i just think its abit much. I felt a bit stupid last time too like it wan't worth there time doing it if you no what i mean. They were really surprised thats what i brought him in

Sounds like they aren't piggy friendly, mine really are. I would ring around a few vets and dog groomers, I say dog groomers as my cousin is one and she has her own business and cuts pigs claws, although she is in the south of ireland! If I was confident with it I would do it for you but I haven't done it yet myself.

What about doing it yourself? There are websites about it http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/care.html wrap pig in a blanket and get someone to hold him and then trim but not too short of course. I'm sure you could do it you know, I'm nervous too but I'm willing to try.

Good luck!

Louise
:)

My mum does the piggies nails but when we got her from pets at home her nails were in such a bag way the vet said to cut some off a little bit at a time :-\ I dont know why but it took about 6 months and piggy is fine now :P O0 ;)

If you have a go yourself, you will get the confidence. If you could get a helper to hold your piggy, face away from them and you gently hold the paw whilst clipping. As you are nervous, just take a tiny amount off each claw and that way you wont cut the quick. You will soon be confident enough to clip without help, trust me. I took Lennie to the vets to have his done as I was too nervous and she only charged £5 for that and a check up and I watched carefully how she done it so now I do all mine myself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back