Gourmet hay box

HopsPopsAl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all
Small pet select have a special on their gourmet hay box. I was thinking of including a handful in their regular bunch of daily hay. I am just a bit unsure on whether that would be overdoing on treats and may promote them ignoring the normal hay (Timothy).
Anyone do this or any reason not to include a handful each day?
Thanks
Alan

Ingredients include: second cut timothy, third cut timothy, alfalfa, orchard hay, lavender, raspberry leaf, strawberry leaf, rose petals, plantain, bay leaf, dandelion leaf, chamomile, oat tops, lemon verbena, apple chew sticks, and a pine cone on top for good measure!

It’s absolutely fine to give some forage in their hay. My piggies dont get pellets often (only three times a week) and instead they have a variety of dried forages.
The only thing I would say about the ingredients in the one you’ve listed is the fact alfalfa is in it. You don’t want adult piggies regularly eating alfalfa due to the fact it is a legume and high in calcium

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. My peegies are 3 and a half months old and have read it's OK at that age (please let me know if incorrect). When they are older, would a handful of the mix a day still be harmful? Or is that only if giving the mix as their primary source?

Thanks for the reply. My peegies are 3 and a half months old and have read it's OK at that age (please let me know if incorrect). When they are older, would a handful of the mix a day still be harmful? Or is that only if giving the mix as their primary source?

Alfalfa can be given for babies under three weeks of age but after that they don’t need it. You wouldn’t want to be giving them anything containing alfalfa after four months of age.

Its going to depend on how much alfalfa is actually in it. It’s quite high in the ingredient list signifying there may be quite a bit, so if you are going to give it then I would not give daily.

I personally avoid anything containing alfalfa.
I use Piggie Parcels for forage - a company run by a member of this forum. You can buy individual bags of specific items so you can adjust how much you give of certain items (ie Dandelion being high calcium so don’t give much ar a time or give often)

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll avoid the box and look at piggie parcels for foraging treats.
I never knew it would be this difficult trying to keep them healthy 😂

Back