Got My Baby Guineas.......reassurance Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrisbods

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Picked up my baby guinea girls today! So excited, just want to check I've done everything right!

Set up their cage with hay, pellets, water and veg ( the same veg as was previously given) and put them in. I am using fleece and hay in their cage.

They have hidden under a fleece cozie ever since. I will keep changing food/water and talk gently to them for couple days before trying to pick them up.

They were kept outside in a hutch with their mum on hay, will they adjust to being indoors on fleece ok?

Will post some pics one they stop hiding!

Tracey x

Yes, you've done everything right. They just need a little while to settle in. They won't be used to regular household noises such as TV, vacuum cleaner etc but once they realise that them noises don't hurt they'll come out more. Best way to get them hand tamed is to keep trying them with their favourite treats which is if they're then same as most piggies will be fresh grass or dandelions. Don't give them too many to start with & if you put the grass in a carrier bag they'll soon associate the sound of a carrier bag with food & will sing for it by "wheeking". Also try to talk to them at eye to eye level, it's not as scary as when you're towering over them. Good luck getting to know your new family members.

Oh I forgot to mention. It's best to register with a local vet. Then if you need to make an appoint later you're already on their books. You're lucky in having one of the best Guinea Pig vets in the country close by you. He's Simon Maddock at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic.

It sounds pretty par for the course for shy piggies. You can place a fleece over the top and back of the cage to give them added feeling of safety; I have found that this helps especially with piggies with a hutch background during the settling phase.

You may find these threads here helpful with settling them in. It is takes time and you need to be patient.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/

For picking up: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/videos/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back