Got A Pig And I Don't Know What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm new so sorry if I've done something wrong.
So I've just got my 1st pig 3 days ago and I'm not sure how to bond with her.
I bought her from a pet shop but she has been alone for a long time !
They told me to wait a good couple of months before I introduce another pig or just leave her on her own and just give her alot of attention.
I'm finding it hard to bond with her, I've had other rodent pets before and bonded with them instantly.
She rarely comes out of her house, and her whole body vibrates when being petted?
Can you guys shed any light that can help me I'm very worried and concerned
Thank you x

I'm new so sorry if I've done something wrong.
So I've just got my 1st pig 3 days ago and I'm not sure how to bond with her.
I bought her from a pet shop but she has been alone for a long time !
They told me to wait a good couple of months before I introduce another pig or just leave her on her own and just give her alot of attention.
I'm finding it hard to bond with her, I've had other rodent pets before and bonded with them instantly.
She rarely comes out of her house, and her whole body vibrates when being petted?
Can you guys shed any light that can help me I'm very worried and concerned
Thank you x

Hi and welcome

Please takes the time to read our guides on settling in a guinea and make friends with her via respecting her prey animal instincts and using guinea pig body language to slowly make friends with her. With guinea pigs that are very much on their own in foreign territory and that have not had much in the way of human interaction, it is not a quick process, but worth it.
We have got a whole section on this score and on understanding piggy behaviour. if you piggy is making short sharp rrrs, it is an expression of displeasure, espcially if her eyes are white rimmed (fear) and her body is rather stiff. But it is actually an encouraging sign that she is talking to you.

Please also get her a companion sooner rather than later. It will go a long way toward de-stressing her. If possible and of you can get to one of our recommended rescues, look for a friend there. The best way would be dating/meet-and-greet at the rescue, but not all rescue can offer it as it is very time consuming. You can look for a companion as soon as the 2-3 week quarantine phase is over so you are sure that she is not coming with hitchhikers picked up at the shop. Please always double check the gender of any piggy before you put them together and follow our tips for bonding.

You can find all the necessary guides, including rescue lists for several countries via this link here: New Owners' " How To" Starter Kit

Since we have got members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is available and relevant for you straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear underneath your username in every post you make. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back