Gooseberry leaves

Jemima

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Guinea Pigs ate a gooseburry leaf and I can't find anything on them as to whether they are safe. I really hope they are not going to get sick! Does anyone know?

Ummm.... No.....
Gooseberry tree leaves contain Hydrogen Cyanide which is toxic to guinea pigs. You might want to take them to the vet. However surprisingly Gooseberries are guinea pig safe.

I wouldn't panic just yet... just keep an eye on them and if they carry on eating and drinking as usual it should be fine. Mine keep eating all sorts that blow into the garden and giving me heart attacks but it's actually rare that anyone has a bad effect. Sometimes it's quantity. I usually relax if everyone is normal by the next morning x

I wouldn't panic just yet... just keep an eye on them and if they carry on eating and drinking as usual it should be fine. Mine keep eating all sorts that blow into the garden and giving me heart attacks but it's actually rare that anyone has a bad effect. Sometimes it's quantity. I usually relax if everyone is normal by the next morning x
I am relaxed now, after two/three days, they are still alive and well. Still gave me a slight heart attack though! X

Ummm.... No.....
Gooseberry tree leaves contain Hydrogen Cyanide which is toxic to guinea pigs. You might want to take them to the vet. However surprisingly Gooseberries are guinea pig safe.
It is good to know they are toxic - well, not good that they ate a bit of a leaf, but good to know that I need to be wary of them. Confusing that the berry is fine though!

Back