Good Pairing Options

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggy has been living by himself for roughly 3 years now, and though he's been fine by himself, I'm still considering if I should try bonding him again. (I've tried to bond him when he was young about 3-4 times - obviously none of which were successful.)
Should I ever try bonding him with another piggy sometime in the future, what pairings would be best for a 3 year old neutered boar? Would a young female be a good option for a successful bonding?

It’s so great you are looking to get him a friend.
It’s the best thing for him

Any bond comes down to compatibility but yes a sow would produce the most stable bonding.

You will need to take it slow with him. He has not had the social interaction he needed so may not know how hierarchies etc work.
I would advise the two live side by side for a while before you attempt to bond on neutral territory. Your piggy has to have time to get used to being around another piggy before they meet.

Thanks @Piggies&buns,
Though bonding him is just a thought at the moment, it's good to know what would work best should I try it.
Would it be even better if the sow was young? Does age matter when bonding piggies?

Compatibility is the most important factor, age less so. I would go for a younger sow though.
It’s all going to come down to how he copes seeing another piggy after so long alone.

I’ll add some guides in below which will help with more information on bonding long term singles and bonding in general

My piggy has been living by himself for roughly 3 years now, and though he's been fine by himself, I'm still considering if I should try bonding him again. (I've tried to bond him when he was young about 3-4 times - obviously none of which were successful.)
Should I ever try bonding him with another piggy sometime in the future, what pairings would be best for a 3 year old neutered boar? Would a young female be a good option for a successful bonding?

If you can stretch that far, either a sub-teenage sow or a pair of bonded sub-adult sows would be best. A trio would have the advantage that you shouldn't have to look for a new companion anytime soon again.

Boars are usually lovely with babies.

You can find a video of 3 years old ex-single Dylan meeting tiny Begw (who is now a tiny nearly 6 years old lady) living with two more widows and a younger neuterd boar) in our bonding guide (chapter baby bonding).

Back