• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Good news for Boris, bad news for Babs

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Boris got the all clear from the vet on Friday. Yay! ;D It seems all the antibiotics have cleared up his kidney problem, which is great. Unfortunately, poor Babs has got bad cystitis yet again - this time she has been ending up with a wet bottom so I have had to give her baths. It seems that the anti-inflammatory 'Cartrophen' injections the vet gives her work really well and then when they are stopped she just gets it back again. She has been in pain when both urinating and passing droppings (squeaking and having spasms). The vet thinks she will need these injections every week now so he is giong to teach me how to give them - argghh scary. I am also trying a bladder tincture that Chrissie from Gorgeous Guineas gave me to see if that will help. Poor old Babs!

Alex x

awww poor Babs. big cuddle..
Injections wont be that bad love, think positive, you'll be helping Babs a lot!

Hoping that it clears up soon..

Kelly xx

Awww, Hang in their Babs and Alex! Good luck with everything, big hugs!

Livie
x

Am pretty worried now as have noticed this evening that Babs has blood in her urine. Also, around her genitals looks sore. Peter Gurney's Piggy Potions book says both these are symptoms of cystitis but am particularly worried about the blood. I cleaned her genitals up and put some aloe vera cream on the sore bits. Shall ring the vet tomorrow and have a chat to see if she needs any further drug therapy before I see him on Friday for the injection lesson.

Am keeping everything crossed that she will be OK.

Alex :'(

sounds like something to do with the cystitis. Hope things go ok..

Kelly and piggies xx

Hope Babs is all better now, but I have just heard of another piggie who had all the same symptoms, and it was diagnosed by her vet as cystitis. He recommended cranberry juice, just like people are recommended to take for the same trouble, and her piggie loved it (as did all her other piggies!) and the poorly one got well again.

Hope this tip isn't needed because Babs is A1 again.

Caroline x

Aw thanks Caroline - i'm a bit wary about Cranberry juice as has lots of sugar in. Might see if I can get some from a health food shop without sugar. Thanks for the tip though

Alex x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back