• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

going in a run

• Thread starter Thread starter nicky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicky

Not sure if this is the right category to be posting in. My sow has got two babies that are a week old wednesday. Weather permitting my pigs go into a run, well, this afternoon was really nice so I put dad into the run, she seemed to get really cross, she was squeaking like mad and seemed agitated. I had to put him into his cage (which is next door to her hutch). I didnt put her in cause I dont know how long she can be away from the babies and the babies are too young to go in - what age can they go in the run?
Nicky xx

My personal opinion is the babies shouldn't go in the run until they are at least six weeks of age, even a little bit older would be better. You will have to introduce grass to the baby guineas slowly, what I do is put a handful of grass in the hutch to start of with for a couple of days, then give them one and a half handfuls for the next couple of days, then two handfuls for the next couple of days and if they haven’t got or had an upset stomach I will then try them in the run. When you do put the babies in the run they can only go in it for a short period of time, between half an hour and a hour.

nicky said:
Weather permitting my pigs go into a run, well, this afternoon was really nice so I put dad into the run, she seemed to get really cross, she was squeaking like mad and seemed agitated. I had to put him into his cage (which is next door to her hutch).

Weather permitting my pigs go into a run, well, this afternoon was really nice so I put dad into the run, he seemed to get really cross, he was squeaking like mad and seemed agitated. I had to put him into his cage (which is next door to her hutch)? ? :)

If the ground is dry it should be ok for half an hour with the babies. Its been too wet and damp here for Blossom and her babies to go out and not warm enough. You dont want the wind to blow those babies away ;D I did put my piggies out for about and hour this afternoon they loved it then the black clouds loomed and into the shed they went.

What I mean was the dad now has his own house which is next door to mum - SHE got cross when SHE saw me putting HIM into the run....... do you see what I mean lol?
Nicky xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back