• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

FairyOlivia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Around four years ago I got three female guinea pig sisters. Two have had zero health issues but Fairy has always had trouble with her eyesight. She has always coped relatively well with a little help from myself but since last week I have noticed a big change in her. On Thursday I noticed she seemed to be quieter than usual and sat at the back of the hutch and didn't come over to see me like she normally does. Then I noticed she was whimpering and kept putting her head under her to reach her stomach. Concerned, I lifted her out and she felt so light I brought her through to sit with me for a while and she didn't really do much except sit, she eat a little hay and I made sure she drank but she went back into her hutch. She had seemed better until last night when she just sat in her tunnel during feeding time and didn't come out to get any, I got some lettuce and she eat it but really slowly. I'm taking her to the vets tommorow but I was wondering if it sounds like shes going fully blind now. She is constantly going in the wrong direction whilst looking for food and I'm really worried about her thanks

Around four years ago I got three female guinea pig sisters. Two have had zero health issues but Fairy has always had trouble with her eyesight. She has always coped relatively well with a little help from myself but since last week I have noticed a big change in her. On Thursday I noticed she seemed to be quieter than usual and sat at the back of the hutch and didn't come over to see me like she normally does. Then I noticed she was whimpering and kept putting her head under her to reach her stomach. Concerned, I lifted her out and she felt so light I brought her through to sit with me for a while and she didn't really do much except sit, she eat a little hay and I made sure she drank but she went back into her hutch. She had seemed better until last night when she just sat in her tunnel during feeding time and didn't come out to get any, I got some lettuce and she eat it but really slowly. I'm taking her to the vets tommorow but I was wondering if it sounds like shes going fully blind now. She is constantly going in the wrong direction whilst looking for food and I'm really worried about her thanks

Hi! Please have your piggy seen by a vet promptly. The whimpering and the digging at the stomach area indicate that she is very painful there. Pain also causes loss of appetite. It is imperative that you start syringe feeding and watering NOW. Use mushed up pellets if you do not have any recovery formula at home and prep the syringe tip (1 ml needle free syringes are available at any pharmacy) as shown in the guide. Your home care in keeping an ill guinea pig alive until it can be seen and any vet treatment can kick in is absolutely vital!
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Blindness does not cause any pain and is not causing the symptoms that need to be urgently addressed. Guinea pigs can adjust to loss of sight by compensating with their other senses over time.

Hi, sorry to hear about this. Her blindness may well be progessing with age, but it wouldn't make her lose weight or seem unwell. Blind piggies usually cope very well in familiar surroundings and with a sighted friend.
Check her weight and consider syringe feeding overnight to give her a boost. It sounds to me as if she is uncomfortable. If possible try and see a vet today

Thanks for the help. I've phoned the vets and have an appointment for first thing tomorrow. I'm going to get her syringes to make sure she is eating. I also got given the emergency vet number so if anything does get worse I can get helped. Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the help. I've phoned the vets and have an appointment for first thing tomorrow. I'm going to get her syringes to make sure she is eating. I also got given the emergency vet number so if anything does get worse I can get helped. Thanks again for the help

All the best! Please get a syringe now; guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly. It is really absolutely vital that you keep the guts going.

Back