Gluten free oats

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
How much oats can/should piggies have per day?

Since last week, when I ran out of nuggets, I have been giving my old boy 1tbsp of oats a day, although he only really eats half. He now also gets his normal portion of nuggets ontop of that, which is like 10-20 nuggets.
I have also been giving 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons to my much younger boar pair next door, where if I leave the plate in long enough it is licked clean. Every second day for the young ones!

I believe that the TEAS sanctuary give their pigs oats all the time, but I’m not sure if that’s just for infirm piggies.

I do think i’m over feeding, especially the young pair who don’t really need them, so any advice welcome!

Last edited:
I'm not giving any oats to Misty and Bramble but I'm giving old gal Thea some at the moment to try and get some extra calories in as she is 7 in January and its a bit chilly. A tablespoon of oats lasts her a couple of days. I'd like her to eat them a bit quicker, but she knows what she needs. They all still have their tablespoon each of nuggets per day, loads of hay and veg dinner. They also have supper of 3 pea flakes and 3 small cubes of dried apple each night and then forage with a small pinch of Pro-C to help build up their winter reserves.

If it’s particularly cold I have discovered that my pigs really enjoy a sort of porridge. I just finely grate some carrot (so that it forms a sort of fibrous mush) and then pour some boiling water on a few oats and leave to sit until they have absorbed it all, I then add the carrot. I always serve it warm. They absolutely love it but make a huge mess!

The oats don’t have to be cooked do they? I really hope not as i’ve been feeding uncooked for a couple days now. :yikes:

So far I’ve given a tablespoon between them, but I may give them a bit more as the winter goes on.
I don’t feed pellets often though.

No, not cooked. You’re doing the right thing!

Back