• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

giving antibiotics

• Thread starter Thread starter katblack77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katblack77

having to give eddie daily oral antibiotics and it's always a real struggle and both of us get stressed out.any tips on doing this please.he hates the taste and smell of them and knows fine well when he sees the syringe.

You could try wrapping him in a towel so he can't wriggle away!

Also try putting the syringe into the side of the mouth rather than approaching from the front - it is harder for them to turn their head away that way.

Have a tasty treat like some cucumber ready to take away the taste!

Also make sure he is getting plenty of pro-biotics as antibiotics can really unsettle the guts.

totally agree with Kate wrap them for security and the side of mouth is alwasy easier and dont forget probiotics, tiger has a cyst full of yuk so am giving him A/B for them its going really well, he is a struggler but a towel does the trick and a lot of fuss after always helps,, good luck..

We are having to do this at the moment and we have been filling the syringe with the meds, then filling the rest mixing it with cranberry juice which was suggested by a vet. After he has teken the meds we then give him a litttle extra cranberry in the syringe so he associates it with something nice (dunno if it works like that but he seems to accept it!)

Went thru the same problem for weeks, eventually Duke just one day accepted the syringe, mind you i nearly fell over, but thank goodness as this has now been on going for more than 8 months (gosh i just added it up) good luck. You've been told about the towel trick and yes that helped me a little and also putting the syringe in the side of the mouth is definitely the better way to go, it also prevents them hurting their teeth to. I always had a special treat of there's to give straight after meds so they thought it was not too bad ;)

Thanks for that! :)I asked the vet about pro-bi and she said that she didn't see the point in giving him them at the same time but suggested doing that when the course was finished.However the last vet i went to give me pro-bi's.Got conflicting messages.

So it's ok to mix the antibiotics with cranberry juice?

I would say give the probiotics now, as I had a pig get severe diarrhoea from Baytril. The probiotics cleared it up easily, even while she was still on the antibiotics.

The best probiotic I've found is called Entrodex, and can be bought online.

Cozzie is so good taking his - little love. I could almost believe he likes the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back