• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Girlie bits infection?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa36
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa36

Yesterday I got two new baby sows they are roughly 8 weeks :smitten: left them alone to settle while this morning and got them out to have a good look they seem to be in good health apart from one of them has rather swollen girlie bits they don't look sore and are not red at all but I have noticed there is a slight yellow discharge and a bit of a strong unrine smell my first thoughts are some sort of infection so I am taking her to the vets just wondered if anyone has any ideas on what it might be :-\

You are doing right in taking her to the vet,she may need an anti biotic.,does sound like an infection.just a thought,is there any chance she could be pregnant.?

If she is put on antibiotic be sure to give a probiotic as well.Bio-Lapis is the best,you can get this from your vet.

Hi thanks for the quick reply as for being pregnant I have no idea I hope not as she's only a baby herself :( I'm off to the vets first thing in the morning I'll update when I get back :)

Good luck, hope it goes well for the little one :smitten:

Definately sounds like an infection, which is actually good as it can be easily cleared up by antibiotics.

Just a quick update for the people kind enough to reply to my post :) my vet thinks its cystitis when he felt her tummy she was very uncomfortable in her bladder area the other thing it could be is an infection in her uterus which is more serious but as she is so well in herself he does'nt think its that sooo she's on a course of baytril with the pro biotic (bio lapis) as well got to keep a close eye on her in case she starts to go downhill but all the signs are good she's still very lively and eating well bless her :smitten:

Thats good news, hope she continues to do well, keep us updated on little ones progess, bless her :smitten:

Thats great :)
But poor you having to feed her baytril. Its IMPOSSIBLE as you've probably discovered. :(

She had her first dose fine bet she's ready for me when I try to give her some more ;D

My piggies have suprising levels of intelligence when it comes to escaping medicine :laugh:
one actually managed to burrow under the hay AND the newspaper when it came to mdicine time
I went hysterical when I couldnt find her
By the way, if anyone tries to suggest mixing the baytril with cranberry juice, dont bother, it doesnt work.
Remember that piggies have very sensitive little noses and they can smell the baytril a mile away, whatever its mixied with :-\

Racheylcg said:
My piggies have suprising levels of intelligence when it comes to escaping medicine :laugh:
one actually managed to burrow under the hay AND the newspaper when it came to mdicine time
I went hysterical when I couldnt find her
By the way, if anyone tries to suggest mixing the baytril with cranberry juice, dont bother, it doesnt work.
Remember that piggies have very sensitive little noses and they can smell the baytril a mile away, whatever its mixied with :-\

Actually it does make the taste of it better for them - remember the old song "A spoonful of sugar"? Similar to that only for piggies. You need to be very firm about administering medication - it is certainly not possible but difficult if you haven't done it before as the pigs can quite literally walk all over you!

daftscotslass said:
Actually it does make the taste of it better for them - remember the old song "A spoonful of sugar"? Similar to that only for piggies. You need to be very firm about administering medication - it is certainly not possible but difficult if you haven't done it before as the pigs can quite literally walk all over you!

Actually my piggy did wlak over me: he climbed up my shoulder onto the back of the chair I was sitting on! :)
Well she could try it but it doesnt work for me or my driend who tried it. But i've heard of people on here it works for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back