• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

GINGER HAS LOST HIS TWO FRONT TEETH

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well we got up yesterday morning and went to feed the piggies and buns. We found Ginger with fresh blood around his mouth and could not see his two front teeth. We phoned the vets and took him straight in. The vet said he had snapped his teeth off. There was no sign of this two front teeth apart from a tiny part of one. We were told they should grow back and to give him antibiotics to ensure no infection sets in. We cleaned is hutch yest and could find no teeth so assume he swallowed them :o Poor little thing. He is fine in himself and appears to be eating and drinking ok. Anyone else experienced this? It worried me to death yest. There was no signs he had been fighting with Toffee.

I have had it when they lsoe their front teeth but its normally just one , scooby 2 has only 1 right now little sod was biting the bars and snapped it off , but they do grow back fine

The only guinea that I have had that have lost their front teeth have been rescues that have come in to us in a poor condition and the tooth loss was I suspect down to poor diet and lack of calcium. It doesn't seem likely that this is the case here though, with your well cared for guinea pig.

The fact that there was blood around his mouth hints that there was trauma involved and so I would indeed keeep a close idea on the two boys in case there has been a fight or skirmish. Guinea bites are often very small but deep.
My guess might be that there was a disagreement and maybe Ginger bumped into the side of his pen? If he is a wire biter... and in my experience few guineas are unless they are trying to get to other pigs, this as Michelle said could be a possibility?

Hope all is well,
Barbara

What a pain, the poor little mite. Have you tried giving him grated foods? Tonni had that when he broken his teeth, and they grow back really quick! ;)

Just make sure that you check the regrowth daily to ensure that there is no growth into the gum or redness around the gums

Poor little baby, it's usually only one, he did it the hard way didn't he :'(
Yes keep a close look in case there's an infection, maybe a vet visit could be a good idea.
Give him extra soft things but try to encourage him after a few day, probably 5 days plus they start to grow a bit, sometimes a bit longer. Gradually get him back onto his normal foods again, in the mean time lots of fruits and leafy stuff. If it's not going too good after 24 hours get straight onto the CC it's the best :)
Keep us posted sending lots of piggie cuddles and kisses to Ginger poor little furbabie Duke sends his best to you :-* :-* :-*

Thank goodness others have experienced this - I thought I had done something wrong! All seems fine with him, thankfully. Have checked his cage mate, Toffee, and he is not showing any signs of fight injuries. If anything, Toffee mothers Ginger. Will keep you all posted on his teeth regrowth.

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at the time it takes. My Lucy broke a tooth down to the gumline and it took a grand total of 10 days for it to grow back.

My first piggie snapped his teeth on his water bottle and luckily i was taking him to the vet to see how to cut his nails. I noticed blood on my hand while i was at the vets and the vet noticed it too and his teeth were still atatched so he vet had to take him round the back and rip the poor things teeth out. We had to feed him the normal vegies and stuff but we chopped it so it wasnt hard at all. But they grew back and he was fine!

Hi there, I just thought I would let you all know that Gingers teeth have grown back and there were no complications, thankfully. What a clever little piggie he is :)

I have had a little chat with him and told him to be careful, but I don't think he understood - or did he? ;D

I had two boars fighting and one of them lost his two top teeth, I was so supprised how quickly they grew back.
For the first few days I had to cut the food down into little cubes for him to pick up and he got the hang of it. I think it took around 1 and a half weeks and there was brand new teeth!

GPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back