• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gi stasis and bloat caused splayed leg sitting

Nifen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My boy has been diagnosed with gut stasis and bloat 2 days ago. he started sitting with his legs splayed out like hes kind of doing a sideways split and the vet said it was probably because of the bloat. I'm worried that as he sits like this it's going to cause problems with his legs. does anyone know if it could?

I’m sorry to hear he is unwell.

If he is uncomfortable with the bloat then that could be why. Usually you find piggies in pain hunch up.
It’s also possible there is another reason for it.

Could you tell us about his treatment for his issues.
Is he on twice a day painkillers?
Is he on gut stimulants?
Are you weighing him daily?
Are you syringe feeding him around the clock?

Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

I’m sorry to hear he is unwell.

If he is uncomfortable with the bloat then that could be why. Usually you find piggies in pain hunch up.
It’s also possible there is another reason for it.

Could you tell us about his treatment for his issues.
Is he on twice a day painkillers?
Is he on gut stimulants?
Are you weighing him daily?
Are you syringe feeding him around the clock?

Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
he's on meloxicam once a day and cisapride and metoclopramide twice. I'm weighing him after every feeding. I do 6 a day and I am for 10ml of food. he's drinking water on his own however I have to hold the bottle out for him as he can't move much at all. I'm a bit worried because it seems like his abdomen keeps filling with gas. I have baby gas drops but heard mixed things about them so I've been hesitant to use them. every 2 hours I put him on a vibrating pad and rub is stomach. I'm just not sure what more I can do for him, I'm scared and worried about his recovery sometimes he seems better sometimes he doesn't. I can attach what he looks like sitting bellow. He hasn't move much from this position the past few days

Attachments

• 20230728_173520.webp
    20230728_173520.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 11
That’s obviously not a normal position. I would actually go back to the vet today and have him checked.

Don’t weigh him after every feeding - it is going to give a very inaccurate view. All you are doing is weighing his full stomach.
You should only weigh him once a day - first thing in the morning before his first feed of the day is best. Then compare that to the morning weight for the day previous and adjust the amount of syringe feeding for the day accordingly.

Bloat is painful and pain meds once a day is not usually enough for piggies. They metabolise their pain meds in around 12 hours so twice a day doses are needed. You will need to discuss this with your vet.

Is he on dog or cat meloxicom and at what dosage?

Please read the guide I attach in my previous reply as it explains how to deal with it.

That’s obviously not a normal position. I would actually go back to the vet today and have him checked.

Don’t weigh him after every feeding - it is going to give a very inaccurate view. All you are doing is weighing his full stomach.
You should only weigh him once a day - first thing in the morning before his first feed of the day is best. Then compare that to the weight for the day previous and adjust the amount of syringe feeding for the day accordingly.

Bloat is painful and pain meds once a day is not usually enough for piggies. They metabolise their pain meds in around 12 hours so twice a day doses are needed. You will need to discuss this with your vet.

Is he on dog or cat meloxicom and at what dosage?

Please read the guide I attach in my previous reply as it explains how to deal with it.
I will try to get back into the vet in the morning and read the guide. he is on dog meloxicam and the dosage is 0.06ml

Attachments

• 20230729_045952.webp
    20230729_045952.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 4
I will try to get back into the vet in the morning and read the guide. he is on dog meloxicam and the dosage is 0.06ml

While dog is stronger than cat, that seems like a very small dose particularly at only once a day
How much does he weigh?

I am sorry you are in this position.
Definitely seems like you need to get him back in and seen by a vet for his legs. Your best bet will likely be to get an x-ray and then you and your vet will be able to go from there.
The good news is that guinea pigs can actually continue to move around without/reduced back leg use as they bear most of their weight on their front legs. My grandmother had a piggy who was almost completely paralysed in his back legs and he lived a long and happy life, although he was on a large amount of painkillers his whole life.

I have had a piggy with quite bad ongoing gut stasis for around a month. He was on 0.12ml of Dog Loxicom twice a day, 1ml of Emeprid twice a day and 0.1ml of Cisapride three times a day by the end of the month.
The more critical care you can get into your boy the better, to keep the gut moving as best as you can. When my boy was not hardly eating I was feeding him around 60ml of critical care a day. Even when he was eating much better on his own he was getting around 30-40ml a day to help stabilise his weight.

Gut stasis is commonly known to be an issue caused by another ailment in the body, but it can come out of the blue.
In my case we went around a month of medicating before looking into investigative procedures because we were having no success with it, but hopefully the medication will work for your piggy and have him feeling better soon.

As for his painkiller, I would recommend bringing up an increased dosage to twice daily with them, but they will be best informed about this.

While dog is stronger than cat, that seems like a very small dose particularly at only once a day
How much does he weigh?
he's 1020. I did go to not his usually vet because my vet was out of town and I went to the only one I could really find. I have an appointment with his usual vet Monday and will try to get it pushed up for tomorrow for reevaluation on the medication. I dont know much about meds but what would you recommend his dosage should be around? he does seem to be in pain and discomfort so I just want to make it easier on him asap

he's 1020. I did go to not his usually vet because my vet was out of town and I went to the only one I could really find. I have an appointment with his usual vet Monday and will try to get it pushed up for tomorrow for reevaluation on the medication. I dont know much about meds but what would you recommend his dosage should be around? he does seem to be in pain and discomfort so I just want to make it easier on him asap

His dose is low for his weight.
Only a vet can tell you what dosage he actually needs but if you search the forum you will find the dosages others have been given.

Back