Getting ready for new piggy

SallyM79

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I am hopefully getting a friend for our bereaved piggy Lollipop tomorrow from a rescue. I have bought new tunnels (multiple exits) and hay cube, and borrowed a pet carrier so I can bring them home separately.

I plan to set up a pen in the living room for them with only a big pile of hay in it to start the bonding and where we can keep an eye on them. While this is happening, I will deep clean the cage and move everything around.

I have three questions...
1) I can't afford to buy new fleece for lining the cage. I have washed it twice and keep shaking it but there are still fine hairs that I can see. Will this cause territory issues?

2) can I feed them veggies in the bonding pen?

3) is there anything else I have forgotten or need to know?

Thank you

It’s fine to use the same fleece, as long as it has been thoroughly washed (as usual).

Yes you can give them their veggies in the bonding pen if it’s time for them.

Have oven gloves ready just in case. Otherwise all the best with the bonding. Let us know how they get on.

It’s fine to use the same fleece, as long as it has been thoroughly washed (as usual).

Yes you can give them their veggies in the bonding pen if it’s time for them.

Have oven gloves ready just in case. Otherwise all the best with the bonding. Let us know how they get on.
Thank you 😀. Will have to dig out some oven gloves! Really hope they won't be needed though!

No, hair will not cause territorial issues. Hair is a hard thing to get off of fleece liners. I can never get every hair off. Try using a lint roller to remove as much as you can. The only territorial thing due to fleece liners would be if they scent mark the liner for the new guinea pig by urinating on it.

No, hair will not cause territorial issues. Hair is a hard thing to get off of fleece liners. I can never get every hair off. Try using a lint roller to remove as much as you can. The only territorial thing due to fleece liners would be if they scent mark the liner for the new guinea pig by urinating on it.
Welcome to the forum

So far so good! They met at the rescue and they were chilled with each other and have been exactly the same for the last 3 hours in the pen. There has been no chasing or nipping or mounting or dominant behaviour. There was a little bum sniffing and some squeaking/chatting but that's all. I was expecting more drama 🤣. Is it because they are older perhaps?

I'm going to give it another hour I think then move them to the cage.

Attachments

• 20230618_124611.webp
    20230618_124611.webp
    48 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230618_151527.webp
    20230618_151527.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230618_124629.webp
    20230618_124629.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230618_152450.webp
    20230618_152450.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 10
Glad to hear it went well. How have they settled in.

Glad to hear it went well. How have they settled in.
Really well thankfully. Our newbie does run away and hide when we go near which is to be expected but she quite happily came out for veggies. Its lovely hearing them chatting, the cage has been too quiet since Sandy crossed the rainbow bridge.

Here they are exploring - the one with the ginger stripe is our newbie

Attachments

• 20230618_163743.webp
    20230618_163743.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230618_163841.webp
    20230618_163841.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 6
Back