Getting Piggys

Rebecca J

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I am considering getting some piggies and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to get them or suggestions for food,cages, and hay.
Thanks!

Hi welcome to the forum. :) good to see you are doing research and asking questions before you delve into the piggy world.

1- WHERE TO GET A GUINEA PIG:
First place I would visit is a rescue. For a first time owner it would be great because you'll already know the health background of that guinea pig and it's personality. They usually come in pairs so you won't have to deal with bonding and are mostly already tame. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing you've rescued some piggies who need a home.

I have gotten all my guinea pigs from a local hobby breeder- not the best place I know but I wouldn't change the piggies I've had from him for any amount of money in the world. I know the breeder and he keeps them in good conditions and genuinely loves them. He doesn't over breed or keep them in cramped cages so at least I know the guy isn't cfuel and in it just for money- afterall Mo (the ginger piggy in my profile pic) cost £3!

Obviously some people also get their guinea pigs from a pet shop. Again not the best place - and if you opt to get a guinea pig from one please check the gender!- but at the end of the day all guinea pigs need homes.

2- FOOD/HAY:

I won't give you strict brands of food but you will need to feed a good quality pellet (try not to get a muesli it looks prettier but isn't as healthy), feed a good brand of hay (I buy Timothy for my boys) that isn't dusty and feed the hay 24/7 (it is 80% of their diet). Guinea pigs cant make their own vitamin C so they will need to be given vege daily -my boys get a bowl in the morning and evening.

3-CAGE:

the minimum size a cage should be is 120cm but the bigger the better/happier the pigs will be. Pet shop cages are gberally too small (except for the 120) but if that's the setup you want you can find a 140cm cage online. Other great cages are C and C which you can really make your own- changing the shape, layout and adding shelves etc. The Midwest Habitat is kind of like a C and C and also a good choice.

Hope this helps. Check out the wannabe owners thread.

Hello!
I am considering getting some piggies and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to get them or suggestions for food,cages, and hay.
Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

It is great that you are doing your research beforehand!

Where to best get guinea pigs from largely depends on our location. If possible, please consider adopting guinea pigs from one of the recommended rescues; we can guarantee for them that you will be in safe and experienced hands and will only rehome healthy and stably bonded guinea pigs that are properly sexed and guaranteed not pregnant. You also have the rescue to fall back on during the whole life of their adopted piggies. If you want instantly cuddly and sociable piggies, please look for an adult pair that is used to human interaction; they are also a great introduction to piggydom - more so than wiggly youngsters that become hormonal teenagers all too soon! Boars are also past their big hormones and in their mellowing phase - which means that you generally do not have to worry about fall-outs and can concentrate on the individual personalities that you fall for. I would also recommend to not go for looks, but for character - and in that respect, a rescue can help you out again as they know their piggies!
That is a lot more extra than you will get from a shop. In fact good rescues are currently by far the safest place to get guinea pigs from without the risk of nasty surprises.
It is worth noting that without any licensing and control in place, anybody can call themselves a rescue and the results can be accordingly and very much a buyers beware. Shop personnel has sadly often got very limited knowledge of the pets they are selling. We see this regularly when members join because they have run into trouble soon after buying their piggies due to bad or downright wrong advice.
Recommended UK rescues: Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator
Recommended rescues in some other countries: Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations

Please take the time to read through our Wannabe Owners' guide collection and if you want to, through our New Owners' one, too. There is lots of practical and really useful information in them!
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

Since we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is really available and relevant where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then got to personal details and scroll down to location. this makes it visible with every post you make. Thank you!

Back