Pair of sows or boars?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkypanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. Long post sorry!
Basically I had Guinea pigs about 15 years ago but we had single boars one per hutch. They were outdoor pets and we had 5 at a time. I am now moving out and cannot take our dog and am not much of a cat person so I would love to get Guinea pigs again to keep me company and look after.
So I am a bit ocd and have been researching like mad. Am thinking of keeping them indoors as then I will be able to chat to them etc and if it's raining or cold I don't need to worry about going out to clean them out etc. I am going to get a ferplast 120 cage and have an indoor and outdoor run too.
Now the problem is because I have only had single boars before I don't know much about pairs. I don't know whether to get a bonded rescue pair of boars or sows?
I would like ideally the pigs to be friendly (eventually) and like cuddles. I know this depends on the pig but I don't really want too much of the fighting and bonding stuff. I have read that boars can be smelly but are more cuddly? But equally have heard that sows get very hormonal when they are in season and can be skittish? Help?!
I am hoping to regime a rescue pair later in the year when the house sale has gone through. Please give me some information so I can stop constantly googling.
Thanks if you have managed to read all of this!

:D I vote for sows. Sows are I think generally much easier to keep. They are less smelly than boars,and you don't have to clean their "bits". And you don't have to worry about them falling out when their hormones kick in! I don't know about boars being more cuddly than sows. All of my 8 girls are very cuddly. When my girls are in season, they just popcorn more. They don't get skittish. If you have the space, why don't you think about a C and C cage for them? At least 2 x 4 grids size for two females. Hope this helps! :tu:

Hi. Long post sorry!
Basically I had Guinea pigs about 15 years ago but we had single boars one per hutch. They were outdoor pets and we had 5 at a time. I am now moving out and cannot take our dog and am not much of a cat person so I would love to get Guinea pigs again to keep me company and look after.
So I am a bit ocd and have been researching like mad. Am thinking of keeping them indoors as then I will be able to chat to them etc and if it's raining or cold I don't need to worry about going out to clean them out etc. I am going to get a ferplast 120 cage and have an indoor and outdoor run too.
Now the problem is because I have only had single boars before I don't know much about pairs. I don't know whether to get a bonded rescue pair of boars or sows?
I would like ideally the pigs to be friendly (eventually) and like cuddles. I know this depends on the pig but I don't really want too much of the fighting and bonding stuff. I have read that boars can be smelly but are more cuddly? But equally have heard that sows get very hormonal when they are in season and can be skittish? Help?!
I am hoping to regime a rescue pair later in the year when the house sale has gone through. Please give me some information so I can stop constantly googling.
Thanks if you have managed to read all of this!

Hi and welcome!

It is great that you are doing your research beforehand. We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care sections which you may find helpful in catching up with all the recent changes in the piggy world.
You may find our information bundle for wannabe owners helpful, as it addresses many of your questions in detail: Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

If you go to one of the recommended rescues, it doesn't matter which gender, as they only rehome well bonded pairs of guinea pigs. Especially if you go for a pair that is past their teenage months, you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to boars. Rescues can also tell you about the personalities of their piggies. Any good rescue also only rehomes already quarantined/healthy guinea pigs, so you do not have to worry about ringworm, mange mites or respiratory infections etc.
We have got a recommended good standard UK rescue locator on the top bar, which includes all the rescues that we can guarantee for. I can provide a link to recommended rescues in other countries if wished.

Which country are you in? As we have members from all over the world, it would be very helpful if you added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can always adapt any advice to what is really available and possible where you are. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

I think whilst your gaining more experience sows would be best as they are *normally* easier to keep in pairs. but if you do get boars aim to get a pair of brothers x

If you decide on boars you will need a bigger cage, 140 or bigger , they need more space than sows.Doesn't matter wether they are related or not, sows or boars.It's about their personalities matching.Two baby boar brothers have as much chance of falling out as unrelated pair.A rescue would match you to the best pair for you and they would be bonded.Good luck finding your furry babies

Thanks. I think I might be looking for sows now after reading out boar behaviour and boar glue lol. I feel bad for my previous Guinea pigs. They were well cared for and loved but we had them all in small separate hutches and they weren't handled much. But they seemed happy and loved their food, whenever we opened the door they would wheek at us. Hoping these Guinea pigs will be better looked after as I now know so much about them. Am hoping the summer goes quickly (am getting them in October time) as I feel like I am on Guinea pig research overload at the moment.
Thanks for all the comments so far though. Would be great to hear from people with sows too.

Thanks. I think I might be looking for sows now after reading out boar behaviour and boar glue lol. I feel bad for my previous Guinea pigs. They were well cared for and loved but we had them all in small separate hutches and they weren't handled much. But they seemed happy and loved their food, whenever we opened the door they would wheek at us. Hoping these Guinea pigs will be better looked after as I now know so much about them. Am hoping the summer goes quickly (am getting them in October time) as I feel like I am on Guinea pig research overload at the moment.
Thanks for all the comments so far though. Would be great to hear from people with sows too.

I have mixed gender groups; neutered boars living with 1-5 sows each, but I did have a group of 13 sows with a "husboar" once.
To be honest, boars tend to be more laid back as a whole than sows once they are adults. While boars have the tricky hormonal teenage months, sows often get more crotchety as the get older and their hormones kick in (ovarian cysts), so it evens out.

You could consider getting a pair of bonded younger adult boars - that means you get them once the worst is over (including boar glue!) and can enjoy the the nicer side of them... Or consider a cross gender pair or neutered boar/two bonded sows trio if they turn up (which is not quite as often), so you get the best of both.

But more than gender, age and other preconceptions, piggies need to click with you. It happens often that the loveliest personalities don't come in the most showy package. Meeting the piggies at the rescue where you can handle and interact with them, you may find that you fall for a pair that has not been on your books. I would just ask you to keep an open mind and take it from there. Sometimes, too much research can make you blind what is out there - piggies are individual characters first and foremost, they don't come in nicely labelled and sized packages that you can mail order like clothes!
Some of my most cheered pigsonalities have been ones that have come here unplanned as an emergency, often sight unseen or chosen by a bereaved/single piggy of mine. Some of those have been blind or half-blind "golden oldies" - but gosh, have they packed in fun and joy of life while being relaxed about the pet side... Nothing about giving a poor piggy a kind retirement! :)

Thanks for the advice. I will look and see what they have and which ones I click with. If I did go with boars at what age are they classed as the younger adult you mentioned? Also am I right in thinking they need more space? And smell more? When I had mine they lived outside

Thanks for the advice. I will look and see what they have and which ones I click with. If I did go with boars at what age are they classed as the younger adult you mentioned? Also am I right in thinking they need more space? And smell more? When I had mine they lived outside

I would opt for a 2x4 C&C cage (which is the equivalent for a 2x5 ft traditional cage/hutch) anyway. Younger adults are boars 1-2 years old.
Most boars mellow with age as the testosterone output gets less. Neutered boars except during intros and unless a sow has got a strong season (when they spray everything with testosterone laden pee), do generally smell noticeably less. If you are worried, ask the rescue lady whether you can meet them first to see whether it would be a major issue for you. You get used to it after a while.

Hiya, me again. Thanks for the replies, I am a bit worried about ovarian cysts if I do get sows. I know they are very common but do they commonly cause problems or are they normally ok and live with it?

Hiya, me again. Thanks for the replies, I am a bit worried about ovarian cysts if I do get sows. I know they are very common but do they commonly cause problems or are they normally ok and live with it?

The majority of cysts are fine and do not requirement treatment. Most older sows have cysts without them causing problems. There are now hormone treatments (chorulon) available as an alternative to a spay.
You have to plan for vet costs whichever way you get guinea pigs (or any pets, at that!). We have got a recommended vets locator on the top bar.
If I were you, I'd keep an open mind and just go for the rescue piggies you click with when you meet them in person. Look out for interactive personalities and ask the rescue people for their recommendations, as they know their piggies.

i have always had sows, just because when i was researching them before getting my first pair, most of the books said girls they were more amiable.

i've usually had pairs & a couple of trio's of girls, they have all had different personalities & qualities, some were so chilled out they would sleep eyes closed on me, others would just sit & chatter the whole time, i don't think the gender makes a great difference though - like the others have said as long as they are well bonded it doesn't matter which they are.

the boys do have their masculine bits to check & are best in pairs or one neutered male with at least one wifepig. all male trios or more rarely work.
regarding the girls with ovarian cysts i've had quite a few guineas over many years & only had one confirmed case of ovarian cysts - these didn't trouble her until she was about 6yrs old & had the hormone injections which worked for her. i had another which i think probably had them but it was before the days of this forum/internet access, so i had no idea what else to try with the vets at the time.
2 surprise pregancies & related issues, but the girls you can usually just keep adding to & have a herd of them!

if you have rescue bonded piggies then this will make things much more smoothly for you (no pregnancy's, quarantined & lifetime aftercare/support) . i have only ever had 2 girls that i HAD to return to their former keepers, because of fighting/bullying my original piggy.

try putting back a few pounds each week in readiness for a vet fund if you haven't got them yet, this will come in handy for those emergencies that they usually provide us with at silly o'clock on a weekend morning/night!:doh:

good luck with your searching
xx

In my experience, the best pairs are a neutered boy with girl. The adoption fee will be more because of the cost towards the op but it's well worth the extra :) x

I think boars often have more of a personality, which is both good and bad
Some fight some are angels just make sure u keep an eye on them as they reach teenage years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back