Getting hair out of fleece bedding/carpet. Strategies, brush and hoover suggestions?

Fluffbabies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi all,

One of my short hairs moults more than my long hairs ever have all together. Seriously you stroke her and it all comes off in your hands. She has an endless supply of hairs :lol:

Our fleece liners are always covered in her hair ingrained in the fibres. We use a brush to get off as much as we can before washing it but it is still covered with hair. I'm thinking maybe a rubber brush or a stiffer bristle brush if there isn't some kind of device that works well? I don't want to damage the liners though.

I have the same issue with our low-pile carpets. We use the dustpan and brush to get the worst of the hair and hay, then hoover. But if you look there is a lot of hair in the carpet fibres. I'm looking at new hoovers. Any suggestions for a good one for getting up pet hair?

Anyone got tried and tested ways before I waste money on things that don't work? Thank you!

With having 3 cats as well as the piggies, their hair gets everywhere. We have a shark anti hair wrap hoover and I can’t fault it. We have a cordless version downstairs and a corded version upstairs where the piggies live. I know a lot of people use rubber brushes to get hair off bedding but to be honest, I think having everything covered in hair is part and parcel of owning pets

It's definitely part of having pets for sure. It's more now all five piggies have sensitive airways since their URIs I thought it might help to reduce the amount of hair on their fleece. Maybe a good hoover attachment could help.

Ooh that's the brush I was going to get! I'll try that :)

I was looking at that hoover too. Do you find with the cordless hoover than the stick gets clogged with hair balls? Even though we brush off the fleece and sweep the floors before we hoover, the hose on our Vax Air gets bunged up by hair and those little thin bits of hay. It's easy to clean it out by knocking the hose against the side of the bin but I have to do it a lot. I am concerned that with an inflexible stick it might get clogged in the middle and be really difficult to get out?

I have a corded shark in the house as I have 2 dogs and a daughter with very long hair! I have been pleasantly surprised and pleased with it, I've not yet encountered a blockage and I like being able to wash it through etc, it replaced a very old Dyson which, until it died, had a lot to live up to! My husband thinks the head on our shark is too small and complains that you have to go over things more, I don't have an issue with it, it's much lighter, feels flimsy? Compared to my Dyson but as I said already it was old so things have moved on. Our pigs live out in a shed and I use a rubber brush similar to the one linked for our fleeces, and whilst it doesn't get all the hair off, it gets enough.

Lexa sheds a lot this time of year. I brush her fleece with a soft silicone curry comb, and it's been quite effective; I end up with several lovely hairballs that roll off the fleece and can be tossed in the trash with the rest of the debris.
E10A125D-CE34-45B3-BC18-2BD07A7828C1.webpB4D296C8-ED9D-4EB2-9DCB-786ABF5708E7.webp

Then I just rinse the hay bits off the curry comb in the sink. I rub it against itself to "clean" it. (It's soft enough to fold in half.)

I'll definitely try these silicone/rubber brushes. I've put off buying a new hoover because I think well this one works well enough...and pennies! But I have had it 7 and a half years so it's done well.

What gets me is when you think you've hoovered, you lift the hoover to put it back without realising it was a bit blocked somewhere and debris hasn't been going all the way into the container... and it all drops out onto the floor! :eek:

Back