Getting Guinea Pigs That Are Healthy...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojessgaz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I'm jo and havnt yet got any piggies as hoping to do alot of research first and get them next month as the weather get a little warmer. They will have to stay outside as much as weather allows as my husband is very alergic and anti pets. I have read alot of reviews re ringworm and issues on buying infected new piggies. I wanted younger ones and first point of call was to be pets at home. There are alot if negative posts I know but my local store (England cheshire .) Is a very good store with helpful staff. I kno there have been ringworm issues probably due to the supplier and my store had postponed a new litter of pups due to a ringworm problem. I was happy that they told me in advance. My issue is do I go and purchase the treated pigges now who have just gone on sale or wait for a month or two... but I am worried I could then have new piggies who have ringworm and I don't know til I get them home. Has anyone any advise . I live in widnes near warrington. There is also a nottcutts garden centre but again you cannot tell how healthy they are just looking. Are there any questions to ask ? Thanks for any help...

have you looked into getting them from a rescue ? they would defo not have any problems then x
My daughter has her mind and everything else set on pups if at all possible. ... I take it they only have older piggies to re house or do they have new borns?

My daughter has her mind and everything else set on pups if at all possible. ... I take it they only have older piggies to re house or do they have new borns?
i imagine some rescues have babies as there can be a lot of unplanned pregnancies.. have a look at the rescue locator at the top of the page for any in your area.

:wel: to the forum.

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your county, so we can adapt any advice accordingly. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar, that is the picture that appears with every post you make. Thank you!

We are a pro rescue forum but sppreciate that people have a right to get piggies from wherever they like. I appreciate you would like babies, but that doesn't pp mean you necessarily need to go to a pet store. There are many piggies in rescue including babies. A recent rescue in the South East has resulted in well over 100 piggies being removed from a hoarder. Many of those are pregnant females and there will be a glut of babies born into rescue. Those piggies are now in rescues all over the country.

The benefit of adopting from a reputable rescue is that you will get a pair of piggies properly sexed, health checked, bonded and well handled. We see many examples of mis-sexed pairs and piggies with health issues (including injuries and ringworm) from pet shops and breeders. I myself adopted a baby sow from a reputable rescue for my bereaved older sow only a few weeks ago.

You may want to consider and discuss these issues with your daughter. Rescue guinea pigs have the vast advantage that they are healthy (i.e. quarantined and vet checked), used to human interaction and they come at all ages (including rescue-born).
These threads here discuss the various issues in detail.
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?

We have got a UK rescue locator on the top bar, when we have listed all rescues we can guarantee for. Please be aware that there is no licensing for rescues and breeders alike, so anybody can call themselves that. Our list is there to help you find the ones where you won't have any bad surprises as our recommended all have a mandatory quarantine and pregnancy watch for all incoming sows. Their guinea pigs are properly sexed and suitable for new owners.
All rescues insist on winter protection. As to outdoors housing, you have to treat guinea pigs like tender plants, so about half of the year they ideally need to be under cover, away from damp, cold drafts, frost and storms.

Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

I have had babies from rescue before, actually younger than normally released because they had lost their mum and were going in with older pigs.I would take the kids , they might suprise you by falling in love with an older pair, they are usually cuddlier and babies don't stay little for long.

I agree about talking to your daughter.
It is a great opportunity to gently introduce her to the idea of adoption versus buying in a market that is already saturated (depending on where you live of course).
I think most kids feel a great sense of pride and responsibility knowing that they have helped save the life of an unwanted animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back