Getting a third boar - how do I proceed?

Lou-Melapis

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I will be getting a third boar in a week or two. He's a senior piggie I'm taking in because his brother died about a year ago, and his owners can't give him the attention he needs. I already have two boars that get along okay, but aren't super good friends. The plan is to place their cages flush to each other so they can still smell and see and hear the newcomer, and the newcomer them. I know what to do when getting a new pig, period, (clean cage, leave them alone to get used to the new surroundings, etc) and I know what to do when introducing pigs that will be staying together (neutral ground, let the bonding proceed, etc) - but what's the procedure for this? Is there anything I should do, and what should I avoid doing?

I would strongly avoid trying to bond a third male piggie, it rarely works and can often lead to all three piggies falling out. Let your new old boy live side by side your existing pair.

I have single boars living side by side and in the past have had a single next to a pair. The bar biting maybe excessive for a few weeks while they get over their excitement. I cover the grids between them so they can't see each other or get to the bars to bite. Remove the cover a few times I start at around 30 mins) a day so they can see each other and extend the length of time the cover is away (spare corex, cardboard) over a few weeks. Eventually you should be able to leave the cover off. I did have one pair fight and have to be split up when they got a neighbour but it's very unusual, most pairs are okay and welcome the extra entertainment!
Good luck!

I would strongly avoid trying to bond a third male piggie, it rarely works and can often lead to all three piggies falling out. Let your new old boy live side by side your existing pair.
Yes, this was my plan!

I have single boars living side by side and in the past have had a single next to a pair. The bar biting maybe excessive for a few weeks while they get over their excitement. I cover the grids between them so they can't see each other or get to the bars to bite. Remove the cover a few times I start at around 30 mins) a day so they can see each other and extend the length of time the cover is away (spare corex, cardboard) over a few weeks. Eventually you should be able to leave the cover off. I did have one pair fight and have to be split up when they got a neighbour but it's very unusual, most pairs are okay and welcome the extra entertainment!
Good luck!
Thank you for the tip about the cover, I wouldn't have considered that! That'll help the little guy settle in better, I think :)

Back