Getting a special needs guinea

melton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I'm getting a special needs guinea soon and i want to make sure i get all the right things for her and all the information before she comes home. I'm looking at getting a 2foot by 4foot cage to start with, is that big enough? The guinea pig is a female, she has a pretty bad head tilt, she is wobbley, and cant eat the best on her own if the pellets are too small. Would it be ok to have her alone at all? I know they do best in pairs/groups but I'm not sure if she would be picked on or not, as she is currently living alone. If she should be with another female what would be the best way to introduce her to one? Also what bedding would be most recomended? Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum

How old is she?
Do you know what her diagnosis is?

This guide helps with information about looking after piggies with limited mobility - Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

A 4ft x 2ft cage is minimum size so technically it is big enough but bigger is always better, particularly as piggies should be kept in pairs. A 5ft x 2ft cage is recommended size for two piggies.
All piggies need a companion, even those with special needs. How long has she been alone?
The green links below explain cage size, how to bond two piggies and other information relating to companionship.

Cage Size Guide
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Companionship

Hay is the main food source - does she eat hay? Pellets are the least important part of the diet and she should only have one tablespoon per day.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Bedding comes down to personal preference. A lot of people with indoor piggies use fleece - either proper liners (which have the absorbent layer already stitched in), or put puppy pads down on the cage base and then lay a fleece blanket on top.
The guide below details bedding and how to use fleece

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Good luck with your new arrival. I’m sure she will thrive in your care.

Good luck with your new arrival, it sounds like she has landed on her feet finding you. Well done for doing lots of research before she arrives.

Welcome to the forum

How old is she?
Do you know what her diagnosis is?

This guide helps with information about looking after piggies with limited mobility - Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

A 4ft x 2ft cage is minimum size so technically it is big enough but bigger is always better, particularly as piggies should be kept in pairs. A 5ft x 2ft cage is recommended size for two piggies.
All piggies need a companion, even those with special needs. How long has she been alone?
The green links below explain cage size, how to bond two piggies and other information relating to companionship.

Cage Size Guide
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Companionship

Hay is the main food source - does she eat hay? Pellets are the least important part of the diet and she should only have one tablespoon per day.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Bedding comes down to personal preference. A lot of people with indoor piggies use fleece - either proper liners (which have the absorbent layer already stitched in), or put puppy pads down on the cage base and then lay a fleece blanket on top.
The guide below details bedding and how to use fleece

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
She is about 4 months old. The vet thought ear infection but is now thinking she has some sort of brain trauma. She seems to eat hay and veggies by herself ok for the most part unless the peices are small/short. I think theyve been keeping her alone for about a month now. Thank you for the info and help! Ill see if i can find a bigger cage and a friend that she can live with.

Heya! I have multiple special needs guinea pigs, several with head tilts and neurological issues, blind, deaf etc. There is no need to keep her alone, in fact it will be best she has at least 1 companion to help guide her however in my experience if you don't wrap them in cotton wool and treat them as 'normal' guinea pigs, they do not require much extra care apart from the obvious single level caging, no areas they can get stuck or wedged in, nothing that can cause them to trip or flip over etc.
Most of mine are quite high up in their herds hierarchy in fact.
I would perhaps consider soaking the pellets in water, this makes them easier to pick up if she is struggling to eat them, that is something I do find mine also struggle with so I either soak when feeding pellets or swap them out for a small bowl of critical care food.

Good luck with her! I hope she has a long, happy life in her new home 😀

Good on you for taking her in. Companionship is most important and she will do better with a little friend regardless of her disabilities

Please post photos of her once she is with you, we are all here to support you too x

How exciting! She's a lucky girl you've found her. Enjoy! Special needs piggies are so rewarding 😍

Welcome to the forum.
Good for you taking in a special needs piggy.
It sounds as if she’s landed on her paws.

Back