Getting 2 month old guinea pigs

ishita

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since my 3.5 year old guinea pig died, I'm getting 2 two month old boars. My other 3.5 year old piggies might get lonely, so I'm getting the babies soon. I'm getting a new C&C cage, so is it alright if I keep the 2 month old babies in a small cage for 4-5 days(only during the nights)?

Assuming these new piggies are all boars then you won’t be able to keep them all three of them in the same cage together long term. Three boars together usually doesn’t work and end up with fights.
The babies may be ok in with your older boar for a little while but once they turn 4-6 months old you are highly likely going to need to separate them from him. Three or more boars together find it rather hard to form a functioning hierarchy once the hormones kick in.

The cage size needed for two boars is a 5x2 c&c cage.
A single boar needs a 3x2 c&c cage minimum.

To try to keep three boars together, the cage needs to be a 9x3 c&c to provide each piggy with enough territory, but as I say trying to keep three together doesn’t work usually successfully so you do need a separation plan.

So should I get only 1? So that they can accustom themselves?

Boars need to be kept in pairs so you can only have two piggies together in one cage.
If you only have the space for one cage , then yes you must only get one new piggy.

If you have for space for two cages, then you can get the two new babies and keep them together in one cage. Your older boar will have to live in another cage by himself but his cage must be beside the pair so he doesn’t get lonely.

If you are going to get just one new boar and bond him with your current boar, you must follow the proper bonding procedure. You cannot just put the new piggy into his cage - doing that will cause a fight. You have to introduce them on neutral territory - somewhere you older boar does not see as his space - let them be in that area for several hours/overnight if necessary, and then if all goes well you then clean out their main cage and move them back to it together. They then remain together from then on.
If they fight (and I mean an actual fight, not Normal dominance) during the neutral territory meeting then the bonding has failed and they can never live in the same cage together. You will then need to have two cages side by side permanently.

This guide explains how to carry out a bonding the correct way

Got it! The best case right now is for me to get one new baby boar, and see if they bond on neutral territory. Thank you for the guide.

Back