Gap between cages of separated sows

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had to separate my 2 sows due to a bad fight. I've temporarily extended my c&c so they both had a 90x90cm space, but this takes up far too much of our front room. Having a play with the grids this morning, I can use the space under the stairs but this will mean they cannot be directly in contact, there will be about a 5" gap between their cages. Is this OK, or do they still need to nose touch etc? There has been no violence between them through the bars.

This setup should end up with them both getting a minimum cage size of 100cm2, which would hopefully keep them happy. And means I can put my feet down when sitting on the sofa!

They do ideally need to still touch noses but if you can't physically do it I'd go with the absolute minimum gap you can. I can't fit my cages in without them overlapping the doorway so I don't use the connectors to join the grids I just cable tie them, the cages are slightly smaller but bigger than if I used the connectors. Sometimes there is a solution you just need to juggle! I know that feeling of not being able to put your feet down.

It took 3 hours of umming and ahhing but I think this works! A bit of a bodge job but they both have access to each others noses. All I need to do now is make another plastic hay tub for Skittles and await more pee pads!

Attachments

• 20230722_151323.webp
    20230722_151323.webp
    84.7 KB · Views: 9
if I remember correctly your grids are bigger than normal grids so they have more space than a traditional 3x2 would. You could always move that dividing grid to square both cages up (rather than one cage having extra and one having that cut out at the front of the picture) but what matters is overall space and ability to interact between the bars.

That looks good. You will be tweeking it all the time if you anything like me. It's surprising how long these things take. My boys all had new Corex, 3 out of 4 cages had shape changes/ extensions recently. All the houses etc were washed and disinfected. I ordered the Corex at 11am, my partner went and picked it up, we finished in time to go to bed!
Your connectors are better than the ones I had, you don't get a gap between the grids.

if I remember correctly your grids are bigger than normal grids so they have more space than a traditional 3x2 would. You could always move that dividing grid to square both cages up (rather than one cage having extra and one having that cut out at the front of the picture) but what matters is overall space and ability to interact between the bars.
They have approximately the same size, Muffin has 5 cubes of 45x45cm - 10,125cm² - and Skittles has a hodge podge of grids (my panels are 45x35cm) - 10,875cm² - that involved some calculator work! I try and be as fair as I can with them!
The corner hay tray will be moved once I've made the new hay box, so they will have the 2 corner panels to interact through. Hopefully they'll be very happy in there 🤞

Back