Fussy Pig

rp1993

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I’m dispearing over Panko and his fussiness with hay, when we rescued him back in October he didn’t like the orchard hay that we had been on for a few years, I gave him soo many sample packs to try and he chose meadow hay from happy hay co which at the time was rather brown. I have also mixed in on occasion the sweet green hay from natures own which he seems to love but I don’t think it’s thick enough to exclusively feed as when I tried that their poops went a bit soft. Through Instagram we were sent some meadow hay from the hay shed he likes the first two boxes and then it was a little more coarse and decided he didn’t like it. I bought him some silky soft hay from the little hay co which he seems to like however they have ran out and it won’t be back until October (pig mum is also allergic to this one!) I’ve gone back to the happy hay co meadow hay much greener fine strands and I have just watched him snuggle through it picking on the odd bit and then not eating it!
I can’t be buying different boxes of hay constantly for him because we don’t have anywhere to put it, and with hay changing from one box to the next I can’t guarantee he will eat it! can’t use Timothy hay because I’m very allergic to it, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to stop him from being so fussy! If it’s the only hay available will he eventually just eat it?
Pringle will eat whatever is put in the cage.
Also to add there is nothing wrong with his teeth they have been checked.

I guess one of the biggest factors/questions, Is his weight stable?
Have you seen any weight drops during his periods of fussiness?

Yes it has slipped a bit when we got him and at the moment he has still not fully regained the weight he lost when he had his dental he was between 1140-1170g and now he is 1100-1125g so it’s not loads but I would like to see him get this extra few grams up

I cant offer much advice about being a fussy eater but I can see your point about differing hay. I used to have the 50/50 box from haybox but the Timothy hay became very coarse in the last 2 deliveries and they wasted loads of it, so I tried a timothy blend from another online company. The first 2 deliveries went down a treat so I ordered a 5kg box. Sadly the hay in that box wasn't good, it was brown and the piggies leave most of it. That's the way nature grows it in our strnage climate I suppose, but I hope your piggy finds one he likes very soon. Good luck!

Back